Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

How to fix Screen flickering issue with Intel HD Graphics 530 on my Dell Inspiron 7559?

DBayo
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Every time a game enters full screen, the screen flickers (showing black background with lines of various colors). It also happens whenever I wake the laptop from sleep after clicking the mouse. A restart of the laptop is needed to make the screen stop flickering.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Yes, it has the GTX 960M w/ 4GB GDDR5.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<span style="font-style: inherit; font-size: 13.3333px; font-family: intel-clear, arial, helvetica, '...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dylan_thomasb,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Would you please provide us with the names of the games you are playing?

Did you try the driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88345 15.45.14.4590?

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
DBayo
Beginner

I tried installing the driver version you linked. The .exe version did not work at first, so I manually installed the .zip version (after uninstalling the previous driver and restarting). After the installation, the screen began flickering, but unlike the previous times it flickered, the screen just "blinked", in the sense that it didn't show any lines, but it just blinked between black. So I restarted it, and after restarting, the flickering stopped.

Then, I checked the driver version installed for Intel HD 530, and instead of showing driver version 15.45.14.4590 (the one you linked), it showed that the driver version is 21.20.16.4590 (newer version). I tried running the .exe, and this time, it worked, but it prompts me to install the current version (21.20.16.4590) instead of the one you recommended.

The games I managed to get to work on my laptop are Left 4 Dead 2 (disabled DPI scaling under Properties) and World of Tanks (ran in Windowed Borderless mode). Now that you mention it, I remember that the problem started after a crash in Left 4 Dead 2. I'll try uninstalling it to see if it fixes anything.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is ok if you see the version 21.20.16.4590, Windows sees the Intel version like that, you can see here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005654.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005654.html

You can try these suggestions:

Make sure that you have the appropriate refresh rate for your monitor/TV.

If your computer supports switchable graphics, bear in mind that Intel's generic graphics drivers from the Intel Web site do not work on some computers that support Switchable Graphics. It depends on your computer's hardware configuration. If you encounter problems using the generic driver, Intel recommends reinstalling the latest validated driver from your computer manufacturer for your system.

Also, you can try uninstalling the graphics driver and then disconnect the internet, once you do that, reinstall the Intel driver manually, please see how to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

If nothing works I suggest contacting you laptop manufacturer to make sure you have the latest BIOS update and to follow their BIOS update instructions.

They can also provide you with specific troubleshooting steps, they can help you setting your BIOS to defaults, they can provide you with a customize driver that can work better for your system.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos