Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Which one is better choice for me. Intel i7 or xeon

idata
Employee

Hi ......,

Please clear me this doubt. I need to buy a machine for rendering. I work in 3d animations. I have to render heavy files. So planned

to buy a better machine mainly for rendering . I dont know to take the right decision . Whether I need to take i7 or xeon.

Intel® Core™ i7-990X Processor Extreme Edition (12M Cache, 3.46 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)

OR

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5620

(12M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI)

The cost of i7 is $999, where as xeon E5620 is $387. So i palnned buy two E5620 and mount it in http://ark.intel.com/products/36600/Intel-Workstation-Board-S5520SC Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC .

1. Will this configuration do my rendering job best ?

2. Is two 2.40ghz xeon performace is equal to one 3.46 ghz i7 ?

please help me in this. Thank you.

Regards,

YESAK

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If you will be running multiple applications or tasks at the exact same time, then you need to take in consideration that the more cores you have the more tasks the processor can perform at the same time.

So in this case, the Intel® Xeon® processor has 4 cores, but you will install 2 of those, so you will have a total of 8 cores and 16 threads, so I would these this would be a better option in this particular scenario.

If you will be running only one application at the same time (or one task), then a processor with a higher clock speed and cache RAM will perform better on this specific scenario.

idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply...

For my rendering job I need more number of cores. 3d application will use all cores to do it's job.

So better I go with two xeon .

thanks for your comment ..

0 Kudos