Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel S1200BTS & Kingston KVR-memory issue

idata
Employee

Hello.

I did check the compability list before I orderd myself a S1200BTS server board and a pair of Kingston 8GB ECC-modules and I can admit that I did not see the exact RAM model number in the list but I somehow in my own little mind thought that these modules would match.

No luck.

Kingston KVR1333D3LQ8R9S/8G is not compatible with the current S1200BTS and the firmware it was shipped with.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else here has experienced the same problem and what did You do to handle it?

I do however find it a bit strange that the board support up to 32GB ECC (4 slots) but in the comp. list it only shows 4GB modules as compatible giving it a total of 16GB installed.

Oh well, no harm done and I feel pretty confident that this board will come to support these memorys in a future firmware update (crossing fingers and toes).

Have a nice evening.

Cheers.

Edit 2011-08-24:

Bpedersen: Thank you for your reply.

I bought a pair of cheap 2GB DDR3 (making it 4GB) modules for $40 just to get the machine up n' running. No Beep errors (yay!) but since I did not get any screen signal I got back to digging for a solution to this "new" and exciting problem.

After clicking my way through intel.com I all of a sudden saw this little "Note" saying: "The iGFX feature in the graphic processor is not supported in S1200BT family products."

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032414.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032414.htm

Say what?

I sat around just staring at the text and I did not remember reading anything about not being supported in S1200BT-series before I bought this board (2 months ago).

I guess my lack of 20-20 vision gave me some trouble here. Or am I interpreting that text wrong and infact the VGA-port is working and I am just a complete ass and somehow managed to transform that VGA-cable to a camel which you surely know does not send a working VGA-signal.

Well, way to late now. Will keep investigating in this matter tomorrow.

Feels like I should have gotten myself a Supermicro board. But hey, they probably have their own little quirks, like support for 8GB modules and a working VGA-port...

Just hoping that I am the problem here and not the hardware.

Good night.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BPede1
Novice

Hi

We have the same issue with the S1200BTL and kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S/8GI modules. I have not been able to find out what king and when 8gb modules will be supported

idata
Employee

Hello

Same too. KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G supported but max just 16Gb. Any news for 8Gb modules will be supported?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is completely ridiculous!!! Intel, how can you say this motherboard supports 32 gigs of RAM and then have no validated 8 gig dimms to put in it?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Actually several 8GB DIMMs have passed the validation already, but not yet live on SCT. One of the validated DIMMs is Samsung M391B1G73AH0-CH9. Hopefully SCT will include it soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You guys have the temerity to yell at Intel, but in fact you can't tell the difference between UNBUFFERED AND REGISTERED RAM!!!

Yes, you failed to read the specs for both the motherboard and the E3 Xeons. They take unbuffered ECC and all three of you have bought registered ECC (I checked your model numbers after seeing stray "R"s in the numbers).

And yes, the C202 and C204 chipsets do not support CPU graphics (Intel HD graphics). You are getting the VGA signal from the basic onboard VGA controller. AFAIK Intel does not have a C206 motherboard which passes through the on die graphics.

RTFM. Really.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

While I don't agree with shouting at intel, I also don't agree with berating users for buying the wrong RAM, as I have just done. Given:

1. I am not familiar (along probable others) with UDIMM meaning Unbuffered; (Of course, hindsight is 20:20)

2. There is no link to the tested compatible memory list in the product page;

3. My local retailer, and many more, do not specify whether memory was registered or unbuffered;

4. The configuration memory tool site, if you can find it, doesn't work from my Safari (mac), Chrome (win) or Internet Explorer (win) browsers.

Interestingly enough, I found out the required info (too late) from the downloaded technical docs (I wish it was clear on the specs page):

For S1200 Server Boards with an SNB-DT processor, the Server Board and the BIOS may support:

• DIMMs composed of Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) chips using 1 Gb, 2 Gb, or 4 Gb technology

• DIMMs using x8 DRAM technology only

• DIMMs organized as Single Rank (SR) or Dual Rank (DR)

• DIMM sizes of 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, or 8 GB

• DIMM speeds of 1066 or 1333 MT/s (megatransfers/second)

• Only Unregistered (Unbuffered) DIMMs (UDIMMs) are supported

• Only Error Correction Code (ECC) enabled DIMMs are supported

• UDIMMs may or may not have thermal sensors

Note: UDIMMs must be ECC, and may or may not have thermal sensors.

S1200BT BIOS has the following limitations:

• No support for LV DIMMs

• No support for RDIMMs

• All channels in a system will run at the fastest common frequency

• Mixing ECC and non-ECC UDIMMs anywhere on the platform is not supported

• Static Closed Loop Thermal Throttling (CLTT) supported via BMC (requires ECC DIMMs with thermal sensor)

I would expect that the memory specifications on the product info page (http://ark.intel.com/products/53557/Intel-Server-Board-S1200BTL http://ark.intel.com/products/53557/Intel-Server-Board-S1200BTL) to look like:

Memory SpecificationsMax Memory Size (dependent on memory type)32 GBMemory TypesPC3-8500 1066MHz or PC3-10600 1333MHz ECC 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM# of Memory Channels2Max Memory Bandwidth1066 GB/s# of DIMMs4ECC Memory SupportedYes

I've never had this issue before buying RAM. But this is my first time buying a Server board (correctly chosen product: target market: 1st server, description: entry level server - straight from the product page).

I also did manage to get the configurator tool running in Firefox, and took a snapshot of the list of compatible memory modules. There are a few 8GB modules on there:

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/matt_connolly/?action=view&current=intels1200btlcompatibleram.png http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/matt_connolly/?action=view&current=intels1200btlcompatibleram.png

So for other future buyers, check this list, to save wasted time and money.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Kingston KVR1333D3E9Sk8G working for me. 4 x 8GB, now running 32Gb RAM.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I bought this board for a personal server. I'd like to use 32GB in it. I was going to order two 2x8 GB Kingston kit, but discussion here put me in doubt.

I want to buy KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G. I thought KVR1333D3E9S is the product description, K* is just a kit specification. But I see @Bellcom mentioned he had problems with KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G, but no problems with four KVR1333D3E9Sk8G modules ..

Am I missing something here ? I went through SCT, Kingston memory search tool, tech specs. and I can't find anything why those KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G should not work .. but still I'm in doubt.

Thanks for any hints..

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I would check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm Tested memory and hardware list first. Actually there are two Kingston 8GB DIMMs in the list as of now: KVR13E9/8I and KVR16E11/8I.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information.

Can I safely assume it's possible to go 32GB with these modules then ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FYI for anybody who stumbles upon this thread: I've bought four KVR16E11/8I modules - everything is working perfectly.

MMire2
Beginner

For me works this memory M391B1G73BH0-YK0