Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

mst + hdmi

idata
Employee

hi all,

I have bought Dell 3040 (i3 + HD 530). This machine has one displayport and one HDMI port.

I want to connect to 3 monitors so I bought a MST hub for this purpose.

Following screen show that the machine can detect 3 Dell screen (P2314H), but I can only choose 2 of them to use.

All the monitors can be used, just only 2 can work at the same time.

I have read the spec of HD530, it should support 3 monitors.

Anyone can help on this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Can you provide the operating system version?

What is the current graphics driver version?

Is your operating system fully updated?

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I downloaded the driver form following links

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

the version should be 15.40.28.4501

I have tried windows 7 and windows 10 and get the same problem.

And the machine is fully update from windows update.

Thanks,

Michael.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information,

Please make sure you are using a high-quality cable from the computer to the hub, the cable should be revision 1.2.

Please follow the recommendations I found on Dell's website: In order to enable Daisy chaining, the first monitor in the series (the monitor directly connected to the graphics card) must have DP 1.2 enabled in the monitor settings. Monitor number two in the chain must have DP 1.2 disabled.

More information about daisy chain:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/es/es/esbsdt1/SLN295251/EN http://www.dell.com/support/article/es/es/esbsdt1/SLN295251/EN

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for your update.

My monitor don't have such option.

I am using following MST hub.

I think the mst hub is working fine since i can randomly choose 2 of them to work.

that mean i can use 1+2, 1+3, 2+3. Windows can recognize 3 monitor, but just don't allow me to use all of them.

So i think it should be driver issue rather than hardware issue.

Any idea for that?

Michael Wong

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would say this is an adapter issue because the graphics controller and the driver detects three monitors but only two are working properly.

Please bear in mind that multimonitor features can be disabled by the computer manufacturer as part of their system designs, especially if you are using video adapters.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry that maybe I mention something not clear enough.

All the monitors are working properly, just intel control panel don't allow me to use.

When i am using the mst hub, i connect 2 display port monitor and it works perfectly, that means hardware is working.

Then I connect the third monitor to the onbroad HDMI, 2 display port monitor are still working properly and Intel control panel can detect the HDMI monitor and allow me to choose. You can see the image from the top of is post.

I need to give up one of the display port for the HDMI. That why i post the question here not to Dell.

you said "Please bear in mind that multimonitor features can be disabled by the computer manufacturer as part of their system designs, especially if you are using video adapters."

As i know, if manufacturer disabled multimonitor, some of the monitor will be disabled before the windows start. That means you have no way to display content to the disabled monitor. But now the situation is different, i can still choose to display to any monitor I like, that means manufacturer didn't restrict anything. Please advice if i am wrong.

thanks,

Michael.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried the following adapter with same graphics controller

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Multi-Monitor-Splitter/dp/B00JLRBB8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475246616&sr=8-1&keywords=mstdp123dp

Please note that the adapter is active, requires power, that's maybe the problem here. You have a passive adapter and this is what I mentioned that your computer manufacturer may impose restrictions. In order to bypass those restrictions, you may need an active adapter.

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The one I am using is Active adaptor. The USB is just for power, it can connect to iphone charger as well.

As I know there is no passive MST Hub in the market. Please advice if you can find it.

So any other reason that the control panel can only choose 2 monitor?

Michael.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did the driver version 4530 help on this matter?

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry for late reply since i was on business trip.

the problem still the same.

I have do some research from intel website. I found following information and maybe it is the reason.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html Configuration 3 Displays FAQ

First row of the table, it is a Star(*) with HDMI. does it means there is problem with HDMI?

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The "star" stands for a trademark. It does not mean a problem with HDMI.

I believe this problem is caused by couple of things I have mentioned previously, the adapter or the computer manufacturer.

Allan.

0 Kudos