Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Does i3-6157U exist?

idata
Employee

Hi.

I'm shopping for a new laptop. The one I've found contains Intel CPU i3-6157U, not found anywhere on intel.com.

Why it's undocumented?

Are there differences from i3-6167U?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Kosta.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Either a typo or made for some OEM.

What is the laptop manufacturer and model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Typo is unlikely: Google finds thousands of results.

I'm looking at Acer Aspire V3-372-34W8. There're other models with that CPU made by Acer: Aspire E15 E5-575-3544, Aspire V13 V3-372-33XV, Aspire F5-573-3284, etc…

I just need the specs of that CPU, and GPU. E.g. does it have 64MB L4 cache / eDRAM, like i3-6167U?

Kosta.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Google finding results does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Provide a link for the Aspire V3-372-34W8.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

How about one from the acer website. I am unable to find your model on the acer website.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, I did find this datasheet on Acer: http://www.acer.com/datasheets/2016/4876/V3-372/NX.G7BEG.016.html Datasheet PN: NX.G7BEG.016

It does say the cpu is i3-6157U

So, the Intel support staff will have to verify.

Personally, the lack of information on this laptop would cause me to not consider it for purchase.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm unable to find that model on acer.com as well. However, there're hundreds of offers from different retailers all over the EU.

If you think "they all wrong", http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTC/2919791628x0x898296/93984980-CAA8-49EA-83E9-9EB62A7E932C/Aug_30_16_Recommended_Customer_Price_List.pdf here's Intel® Processor Pricing.

See the section "uLV Intel® Core™ i3 processor Mobile (FCBGA10)"
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, clearly there is something wrong. As I said, it may have been specifically made for some OEM (e.g. acer).

But, do you not think this new acer laptop, with a 6th gen processor, should be on Acer's website? The link you provided for the cpu is just as vague as the link I provided for the datasheet from ACER.

Do not worry. The Intel support staff will be able to verify the cpu for you.

For me, I would want more documentation and support on ACER before purchasing. Where will you find a user's manual, or drivers, or bios updates if not on the Acer site?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you'll show me a comparable Intel laptop (13" FullHD, Iris 540/550/Pro, upgradeable HDD and RAM), I'll happily reconsider :-)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should contact ACER support for verification of the cpu, and to have them locate the support page for this laptop.

In the meantime, wait for the Intel support staff to verify the cpu.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ConstMe,

I can't find this processor at any Intel website either, this is a tray processor. A "tray" processor is one that is sold wholesale (typically in bulk quantities) and comes without a thermal solution (heatsink). These processors are usually purchased and installed by system integrators and are not readily available in retail.

These processors are pre-installed by an OEM or reseller. Intel ships the processors to OEMs in trays. Processors shipped in trays are referred to as OEM/Tray processors.

We recommend that you contact ACER and ask them if this is a system that you can purchase, as they are more familiar with these systems. In other words we cannot guarantee if this is a legitimate system that you can purchase so your best option is to contact ACER.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan.

Of course I can purchase a system.

Those Acer laptops are sold by a hundred online retailers all over the EU.

Including the German one, where I sometimes order PC hardware not available offline here in Montenegro.

Since you have confirmed Intel manufactures and sells the chips to OEMs, could you please clarify the specifications of the chip?

Namely, I'd like to know the following.

What's the frequencies of that CPU (Processor Base, Graphics Base, Graphics Max)?

What's the GPU model, is it Iris 550 like i3-6167U, or something else?

Has that chip 64MB eDRAM / L4 cache?

Does it support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x)? Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)? Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)?

TDP in watts?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kosta.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan,

Any update?

Regards,

Kosta.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The only information that I could find is here:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3%20i3-6157U.html http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3%20i3-6157U.html

This is not an Intel website because as I have mentioned above this processor is not found on any Intel website, for better accurate information about this product, you will need to consult it with the Laptop manufacture.

Here is a link where you can find information about the processor on your Laptop.

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/acer+aspire+v13+v3+372+34w8 http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/acer+aspire+v13+v3+372+34w8

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan,

Thanks, I saw that link.

Unfortunately, it doesn't contain info about GPU model (I'd like to know the exact model, not just "Intel 500 series"), eDRAM availability and amount, and EPT feature.

This forum says you're working for Intel.

If that's correct, can't you find the answers within Intel?

After all, the company manufactures and sells the chips.

I'm sure some people inside Intel should know it's exact specifications.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kosta.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Acer would have the specifications as well. Have you contacted them for detailed specifications on their undocumented laptop?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did, only got the same link to cpu-world.

Intel is making the CPUs, not Acer.

Why do you think Acer knows the answers to my questions?

My questions are about what's inside the chip. Acer can't get in there.

Kosta.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not going to belabor the point. Acer cannot make a laptop or bios without having detailed specs on the processor. Intel has already told you they cannot find it in their database. There is no documentation on this laptop on the Acer site. There is no support page on the Acer site for manuals, documentation, drivers, or bios updates.

If you do get this laptop, where will you find support for it?

I would move on to a laptop that has the proper support, regardless of the "deal" on the one you have selected.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you ever built a PC?

I did several times, and succeeded without detailed specs on the processor.

Don't see a reason why Acer might care about e.g. EPT feature.

BIOS is deprecated and no longer used in modern systems.

As for UEFI firmware, Acer doesn't develop it.

In those laptops, they use the firmware made by a third party, namely by Insyde Software.

But even if you're right, and Acer knows the answers, I'd still like to get an answer from Intel.

Intel designed and manufactures those chips.

Intel knows more about them than any company that integrates them, solders them, or develops software for them.

Therefore, information from Intel is the most accurate.

Kosta.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Have you ever built a PC?" More than you can imagine.

Yes, when referring to the bios, I was referring to UEFI. But, thank you for thinking I was incorrect.

You have already received an answer from Intel. You just did not like it.

And, you have not considered that this could be a fraudulent processor, or one Intel made specifically for some integrator, in which case it is the responsibility of the integrator to help you.

I am no longer following this thread.

Doc

0 Kudos