Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Difference between the SLACB and SLAEM 1.6Ghz Xeon Quad cores

idata
Employee

Hello,

We have an older IBM X3400 Server, and have an opportunity to upgrade from a single Quad core to a dual Quad configuration, but the existing processor is a 5310 SLACB and the one we can get very inexpensively is a 5310 SLAEM.

I have looked up the specs for these two processors and they show identical specs. Before making the purchase, I would like to confirm what is the difference betwene these two processors... Will the SLAEM work in the server along side the SLACB?

I copied specs here for reference for all 5310 models...

SLACB

E5310

1.60 GHz

1,066 MHz

8 MB

80 W

SLAEM

E5310

1.60 GHz

1,066 MHz

8 MB

80 W

Robert

2 Replies
idata
Employee

Robert,

What you have are two different stepping revisions of the same processor number (E5310).

I can only speak in general terms from an Intel server board perspective. Our processor population rules indicate when two processors are installed, both must be of identical revision, core voltage, and bus/core speed. We usually allow a +1 processor stepping difference to be compatible together.

For information on the processors you describe, see the http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=28030 Intel® Xeon® Processor E5310 specifications website and select the "Ordering / sSpecs / Steppings" in the left navigation bar. You'll see the B3 and G0 stepping processors that you have listed.

I strongly recommend checking with IBM to see if the processors you want to use can be used together in the system you have. There may also be BIOS requirements for the newer stepping processor to work in any event.

Regards,

John

idata
Employee

Thank you for the helpful information...

Robert

0 Kudos