Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Intel Rapid Storage

idata
Employee

Hi

I use a SSD drive "Samsung SSD PB22-JS3 TH" in a "Dell Optiplex 980". There I keep the programs I use that need to be fast, (Visual Studio, Photoshop and so on). On the SSD drive I also store the files I work on with those programs.

Then I have a normal drive where I store everything else.

I have "Intel Rapid Storage" running. That program was installed when I got the computer.

My question is. Do I need that or is it just using resources?

Regards

Carl-Johan Larsson

2 Replies
idata
Employee

mailto:carljohan_larsson@hotmail.com carljohan_larsson@hotmail.com

Hi

I have "Intel Rapid Storage" running. That program was installed when I got the computer.

My question is. Do I need that or is it just using resources?

Hello Carl-Johan,

your message is very vague, because there are 2 different "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (RST) products available:

a) the Intel RST SATA AHCI/RAID driver and

b) the Intel RST application containing the RST driver and the software for the Intel RST Control Panel.

What you probably mean is the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" application, which only can be installed with Intel chipset systems, when the Intel SATA Controllers have been set to "AHCI" or "RAID" mode.

The Intel RST software is very useful for users, who have created a RAID array, because they can manage the RAID settings from within the Windows OS.

Users, who are running their hdd/SSD in AHCI mode, don't really need the RST application. It even may shorten the boot time, if the RST Control Panel has been uninstalled.

So the answer is "No", if you mean the RST software and your Intel SATA Controllers are running in "AHCI" mode. You can very it either by entering the BIOS and looking for the SATA Controller settings or by running the Device Manager and looking into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section. If you see there a Controller name with the words "Intel" and "AHCI", you can be sure, that you can uninstall the RST software by running the "add/remove Software" option of the OS.

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'll leave it alone.

Regards

Carl-Johan Larsson

0 Kudos