cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernation and SSD wearing

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy and install an X25-M on my notebook, but there are still some unclear points I would like to solve before proceeding. In particular, I would really like to know whether the hibernation feature in Windows OSs may actually increases the disk wearing significantly. A lot of users on the web recommend to disable it on SSD to minimize writes and enable longer disk duration, but I can't really avoid using it. It makes me save a lot of time, for I don't have to re-open my work session (about 100-120 running processes).

Furthermore, I would like to know how the Data Migration Tool behaves in terms of partition alignment. I am not planning to make a fresh Win7 install, since it would take me too much to reinstall of my applications, and the DMT looks like to be excellent for that job.

Thank you for your replies.

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When hibernate is invoked it stores a copy of the system memory on the hard disk. Disabling it therefore frees up disk space equivalent to the memory installed on the computer, which is why some people do.

I wouldn't worry about using it wearing out the SSD.

If you have Windows 7 all you need to do is make sure you are in AHCI mode in the bios and then use the Intel Toolbox System Configuration Tuner to make sure everything is set up correctly and you are good to go.

Regarding alignment if you are transferring a system image of Win 7 from HDD to SSD you should also be good to go.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you do hibernation about 4 times a day with about 4GB of data writes in that day to the SSD then you will likely get 3 years out of it maybe more.

Use toolbox to check your media wearout indicator if it doesn't drop by 1 after a months use it will then likely last over 3 years.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

If you can enable AHCI in your BIOS.

As for the DMT I do not know if it aligns misaligned partitions to the SSD but its likely that if your partition is aligned now then it will be aligned for the SSD too when you use DMT.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@PeterUK

I usually hibernate with 2-2.5GB of used RAM, but I also perform more than 4 hibernate/resume cycles throughout the day. Point is, I frequently use VMs, too, and I tend to save their state instead of shutting them down. So I guess I stress my disk a lot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Oh, yeah, an additional question about DMT: my current partition is larger than the SSD I want (250 vs 120 GB), but used space is only 85 GB. Do I need to resize it before launching DMT or not?