cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with 4 x SSD 530 series

VLore
New Contributor

Hi,

We have been using the SSD 530 for a while now in some production units. Now i have 4 drives that have failed during a short amount of time in 4 different systems around the world.

The system compailns about bad superblocks on our RW partition (sda7) when trying to boot linux. (same error on all failed drives)

I have checked the drives with intel ssd toolbox, and it reports healthy drives. But when trying to do a scan for errors it fails on 15%.

We have not had any problems with these in the past and have not had any changes to how our file system is built for the last 3 years. We have 100+ systems with intel SSDs around the world and most of them never had any problems with the SSD.

So i am suspecting a problem with the batch of drives we got for our last buy. And i would like to figure out what is the root cause since we have 25+ systems in the field with drives bought in the same time period.

Serial numbers for 3 of the drives:

cvda502603811802gn

cvda502607591802gn

phda412300wg1802gn

Any feedback are welcome.

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi vclor,

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® SSD 530 Series.It seems that this situation could be related to corrupted files on your systems. We advise you to perform a low-level format on the system using the following command: "hdparm -I /dev/sda" Please let us know if that works.Regards, Junior M.

That hdparm command does not do a format. It reports the status of the drive. And the 'a' in "sda" depends upon available drives (see GParted).

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Tune-Your-Hard-Disk-with-hdparm Tune Your Hard Disk with hdparm " Linux Magazine

VLore
New Contributor

Hi,

I have not gotten around to try to repair the I/O using HD-parm yet. I will try to see if I can get them back running without formatting the drives.

The linux system we are using consists of 5 partitions, where only one is r/w accessible. This r/w partition contains only logfiles and config files for our systems.

I could of course format my drives so I can reuse them, but that would not help with the issue long term. I need a solution that prevents this from happening so that we do not have to ship systems around the world for repairs.

We are running Ubuntu 10.04 server with kernel 2.6.32-41-generic-pae on our systems.

Best regards,

Victor

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi vclor,

Thanks for the update. We would like to confirm the following information: -Could you please let us know how did you run the scan in the systems since the Intel® SSD Toolbox is not compatible with Linux*? -Do you have dual boot partition with Windows*? If so, please share the smart details of 2 of the drives and let us know the Windows* version you are running. Regards, Junior M.