Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Celeron J3455 supports 16Gb of RAM?

ET1
Beginner

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Celeron J3455...

https://ark.intel.com/products/95594/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J3455-2M-Cache-up-to-2_3-GHz Intel® Celeron® Processor J3455 (2M Cache, up to 2.3 GHz) Product Specifications

According to the specification the "Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)" is "8 GB".

But... several motherboards announce they support 16Gb...

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/J3455M-E/specifications/ J3455M-E | Motherboards | ASUS USA

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-J3455N-D3H-rev-10# sp GA-J3455N-D3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455M/?cat=Specifications ASRock > J3455M

How is it possible?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FTP,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community. I can sure help you with you inquiry.

I would like to let you know that the processor in question is an Intel® System on Chip (SoC) processor. For this model there is a Max Memory Size supported; however, in this case it is dependent on memory type used for the SoC. And, in this case the computer manufacturer in the one that decides which memory type and the maximum supported for their particular computer model. Our datasheet: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/pentium/pentium-celeron-n-series-j-series-datasheet-vol-1.html Intel® Pentium® and Celeron® Processor N and J Series: Datasheet 1, states that the maximum size supported is 8 GB, and that the densities (4,8,12 or 16 GB) varies depending on the memory used(LPDDR4, LPDDR3 or DDR3L), but it is up to the computer manufacturer to define which will be the maximum for their specific model. See below for the table 3.2 Specifics of Supported Memory Technologies(page 63).

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
ET1
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry for coming back to you a bit late.

First, thanks for your answer!

I appreciate.

But... to be honest, I did not found any answer to my question.

Because you said:

For this model there is a Max Memory Size supported; however, in this case it is dependent on memory type used for the SoC. And, in this case the computer manufacturer in the one that decides which memory type and the maximum supported for their particular computer model.

Ok fine. But below you gave the specs: it's still a max memory for 8GB in all cases and max density(?) of 16GB depending on the memory type (LPDDR4, LPDDR3 or DDR3L).

Then...

1/ What does exactly "density" mean in the spec? Does it mean RAM modules of 16GB, modules of 8GB, modules of 4GB?

Even though the processor would use 8GB max, it would accept to deal with modules of 16, 8, 4, 2GB?

2/ In all 3 examples I gave you (cf. url and motherboards' spec) they use the same type of memory: the DDR3/DDR3L.

So according to the Intel spec, how do you explain that they display a 16GB max while in the spec it's 8GB max either for max memory and density?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FTP, hope the information posted below helps to understand this matter. I answered in the same order you posted the questions.

1. Density and the capacity are not the same, the density of a memory module is determined by the small black DRAM chips that make up the memory module. The fewer chips there are on the module, the higher the density. High density modules process the same amount of information at the same speed as low density parts, but they use fewer chips. Fewer components also cost less to manufacture, and the end user won't notice a performance difference. So let's say that you have a module with a 4GB capacity and the total number of chips is 8 then density is this case is 4 Gbit. This configuration is set by the manufacturer of the RAM.
  2. I am unable to explain that, our datasheets states our stand regarding the RAM specification, but it is up to the computer manufacturer to make the selection of the size to be included.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
ET1
Beginner

@

Density and the capacity are not the same, the density of a memory module is determined by the small black DRAM chips that make up the memory module. The fewer chips there are on the module, the higher the density. High density modules process the same amount of information at the same speed as low density parts, but they use fewer chips. Fewer components also cost less to manufacture, and the end user won't notice a performance difference. So let's say that you have a module with a 4GB capacity and the total number of chips is 8 then density is this case is 4 Gbit. This configuration is set by the manufacturer of the RAM.

Thanks.

I am unable to explain that, our datasheets states our stand regarding the RAM specification, but it is up to the computer manufacturer to make the selection of the size to be included.

So there's still no answer to my original question.

But I guess there's a logical explanation as I would be very surprised if suddenly all major motherboard manufacturers decided, all in one go, not to respect the processor manufacturer specifications. There must be a reason behind to all do the same.

Anyone else has any idea on how it's possible?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FTP, you could try contacting one of the computer manufacturers for more information.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FTP,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RTole4
Beginner

@idata but anyone with a REAL answer . : IF you use ddr3l with a 8gb density, will that add up to 16gb total addressable memory in a 64 bit OS / enviroment ? it seems like you went round and round aND never ANSWERED THE QUESTION the OP and I need a answer to.

Either way it won't affect my purchase as I already own a NAS based on this SOC , and I went ahead and bought the 8GB dimms and the Linux 64 bit OS, seems to report it sees 16GB , so I just want to know if the CPU will be able to use both channels of 8GB to work with , or will it hit a unseen 4GB per channel limit. using the 8GB denstity ddr3l dimms in it?

sorry I'm old and hard of sight so I often by accident hiit the caps. feel like a idiot having to appologise for caps.

Roman

0 Kudos