Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wifi Direct Not Activated

idata
Employee

I have a Intel N-6230 wifi card in my Dell XPS 8500 running Win 7 64 bit (installed after purchase) and I have driver 15.4.0.11 dated 12/6/12. The card works fine for wifi but I do not see how I can use the wifi direct feature. I do not have a "dashboard" that I can find and wifi direct does not appear in the control panel. If I llok in my program list under Intel I see only Intel Control Center (which maybe the Dashboard) and Intel Rapid Storage. If I click on the Intel Control Center I only see Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Please help me or tell me how to start the post.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Can anyone help me on this issue?

0 Kudos
BBerg8
Beginner

I'm there with you. The problem is Intel's site shows 15.3.1 as the latest version and yet 15.4.0.11 dated 6 December 12 is clearly the latest version for Dells (mine is a Latitude E6520). ProSet whines that it's not compatible with 15.4.0.11 and tells me to "upgrade" to an older version then lists those versions. The other problem here is Intel rarely answers problems here and when they do they're not helpful (see the thread about drops on teh 6300 series wireless cards.

Here's the link for the "latest" drivers:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Ultimate-N+6300 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Ultimate-N+6300

Notice they're dated 3 weeks before our version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As I indicated I already have ver 15.4.0.11 installed but I do not see any indocation that I can use wifi direct. It does not show up in the control panel or under the Intel Programs. Do you have any suggestions on how to activate?

Intel is very frustrating since they have not bothered answering this posting and I also filed a request for support by email with Intel and of course they never bothered respoding to the technical support issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I finally figured out that I had to install a WIFI Dashboard driver so I did that (version 15.3.1_s64). When I did that and ran the dashboard I get a message which says that the PC is capable of using wifi technology but a program is not installed. When I click on the link in the message it sends me to the Intel support site but I have no idea what needs to be installed. So I downloaded and installed the wifi driver which matches that version of dashboard and then reran wifi dashboard but still get same message. The wifi direct shows as "off" and I cannot seem to turn it on. Also the control panel still does not show wifi direct.

Anyone have suggestions for me?

0 Kudos
MEA1
New Contributor II

Look here : /message/178329 http://communities.intel.com/message/178329

I have the same issue with Intel Centrino N-1030 and reinstalling Intel My WiFi Dashboard fixed the problem.

Please Intel fix that bug.

0 Kudos