Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

CPU speed problem

QQuk
Novice

Hello!

I have a strange problem with my CPU speed. My laptop always start up with 3.5GHz speed running, when i'm doing a restart or turning on my laptop.

My CPU is: i7-4710HQ Quad Core (2.5 GHz, Intel Haswell Architecture, Features Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz).

I know that my CPU have a "Intel speed step technology" but i want to figure out on which speed my CPU should run when i power up or restart my laptop (1.8, 2.5 or 3.5GHz) ?

I'm also tried to boot in safe mode and my CPU speed was 2.5GHz on start up.

P.S.

1) I'm already updated my BIOS

2) did sfc scan, result: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

3) Used optimizer to delete junk files.

4) disabled startup items.

9 Replies
rsonk
New Contributor I

Make sure your heatsink isn't clogged up any. Good idea to clean it out with a chttp://goo.gl/HBR5JL an of compressed air every once in awhile.It can indeed be tough to tell with a laptop in regard to fans, as you are never exactly sure of what they are doing, unless of course you monitor them constantly (not happening). Just another example of how having locked down BIOS can slow some down (literally and figuratively).

1. Open task manager

2. Select the "performance" tab

3. Close all applications and wait for CPU usage go down to 1-3%

4. Watch the value displayed underneath "Speed" for about a minute

5. Unplug / Plug in the power supply and watch the CPU frequency again

0 Kudos
QQuk
Novice

Hello, richardsonkane75

I'm already cleaned and added new thermal to my CPU & GPU like 2 weeks ago. It helped me a lot!

When i'm starting up my windows i don't have any applications running.

Maybe i found a solution... i was playing with processor power management -> Maximum & Minimum processor state.

and found interesting results:

Minimum & Maximum on 72% CPU work stable on 1.78GHz:

Minimum & Maximum on 99% CPU work stable on 2.48GHz:

Minimum & Maximum on 100% CPU work stable on 3.25GHz:

P.S.

And yes, my laptop CPU speed goes from 3.5GHz or from 2.48GHZ to 1.8GHz when i unplug and plug in the AC Power adapter! and it stays on 1.8Ghz all the time till i restart my laptop.

And one more strange thing... when i set my processor state to 99% on power option and turning off my laptop. Then starting it up and i have 1.8Ghz on start up. But, after restart i have 2.48GHz .

I'm using "Conservation mode" on my laptop. That means my battery always on 60% with plugged in AC power adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Qukerz, could you please let me know your computer model?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
QQuk
Novice

Hello, Amy

Model: Lenovo Y50-70

P.S.

My CPU speed also goes down to 1.8GHz after i wake up from sleep mode. I tried everything to get it back to 2.48GHZ but nothing... only restart fixes this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try disabling the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, another thing I would recommend is updating your BIOS version, see here for the download http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops%20and%20netbooks/lenovo%20y%20series%20laptops/y50%2070%20notebook%20lenovo?beta=false Laptops :: Lenovo Y Series laptops :: Y50-70 Laptop (Lenovo) - Lenovo Support (US).

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
QQuk
Novice

Hello,

I'm already updated BIOS. Unfortunately i don't have an option to disable: "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology" in my BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try disabling it with these steps https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100308130827AA18AEG How do I turn off Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology (EIST)? | Yahoo Answers.

/thread/101397 Qukerz, have you tried contacting Lenovo in regard to this matter? If you have not done that, try to since it is possible that they may already be aware of the situation and could give you specific troubleshooting assistance.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
QQuk
Novice

Hello, Amy

Thank you for helping me

I figured out there is a problem in my model of laptop. I'm already asked them to add new BIOS update. To fix that my CPU won't slow down to 1.8GHz after i return from sleep mode.

P.S.

My Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology works great! But i disabled the turbo boost by reducing "Maximum & Minimum processor state" to: 99% because my laptop overheat with turbo boost with 3.5GHZ. Now it work great with max speed 2.5GHz

Till Lenovo will release a BIOS fix.. now i'm using "Power Saver Mode" instead of "Sleep Mode" i think its best alternative.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome. I am glad to hear to heat that you were able to track this down.

Let me know if the new upcoming BIOS fixes your issue.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos