Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Strange issue - all wifi connections except required one is ticked 'connect automatically'

CChio1
Beginner

Hi

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 8 issue or whether related to the my Wireless Centrino 2230 adapter. However as it started occurring after I intstalled Centrino updates, thought I'd ask here.

On my laptop, when I click networks to bring up available wifi connections, ALL the connections I have except the one that I generally use (ie my home cable connection) have 'connect automatically' checked. If I uncheck them, they automatically get ticked again immediately as soon as I look again.

My required wifi connection however is the exact opposite...I check 'connect automatically', then when I have another look, its unchecked.

Any idea what the issue is here? I'm a bit worried that because of the above my laptop will connect automatically to unsecure networks when I get in range.

Thanks

Cdchi1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

It seems the issue is happening when you use Windows* Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your wireless connection, you may try using Intel® ProSet/Wireless Connection Utility instead.

First of all, you will need to check if it is already installed, otherwise just install it. If you have it installed just go ahead and right click on the Intel® ProSet icon from the taskbar (system tray) and choose Enable WiFi Control.

In case you opened the full Intel® ProSet window you can find the same option by clicking on Advanced.

If it actually says Use Windows to Manage WiFi then you are already using Intel® ProSet. If that is the case or if the issue persists, please provide the wireless driver versions used before and after the issue started to happen.

0 Kudos
CChio1
Beginner

Hi Joe

I deleted my previous response, because I uninstalled the Wireless software/drive and reinstalled using the custom option. When I selected an additional option the proset tools came back, and importantly the Connection utility was also installed.

However, the problem still persists, even when the Connection utility is controlling the wifi. That is, all the available connections have the 'connect automatically' option checked.

The current wireless software and driver version is: Wireless 15.8.0 64 bit version. Unfortunately not sure what the previous version was but likely it would have been the most recent previous version as I'm very active in updating drivers.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry I did not fully explain about Intel® Proset Wireless Connection Utility but is good to know you were able to install it.

I noticed a similar behavior regarding the "connect automatically" checkbox. However, I got proper results by doing either one of the following options:

1. Open the Windows* wireless configuration panel and right click the network you don't want to be connecting automatically and select Forget this network. Another option is to click View connection properties instead and change the settings in the Connection tab.
  2. Using Intel® Proset Wireless Connection Utility, click on the Profiles button and remove the undesired network profiles.

I hope the suggestions help.

0 Kudos
CChio1
Beginner

Hi joe

Thanks I did that. However doesn't really resolve the issue of when I get near a unsecured free network (that I haven't previously ignored) with my notebook. So for example when I'm travelling o/s.

Ahh well, I'll just have to be especially careful.

Anyway thinking about it, the problem still existed when I unistalled the Intel proset wireless tools, so it seems the issue is windows based rather than Intel.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It might be a Windows* issue. I saw the "connect automatically" box checked initially at some point even after reconnecting without that box checked but after the steps above, my system is always connected to my network and not to any other unsecured network; so, the issue was not replicated entirely in my system. And this box was checked on that different network because I did so for this test, it is not something that just suddenly appeared on its own.

Nobody from the thread you linked above mentioned the wireless adapter model. Perhaps you may want to check with Microsoft*to see if they are aware about this issue.

0 Kudos
CChio1
Beginner

Hi Joe

Yes the system will reconnect auto to the network you used previously, rather than other networks, which is ideal for my home connection.

The problem is when I get out and about and gt in range of a unsecured network. Since Im away from the priority network the notebook connects to that unsecured one by default.

At least that's what happens with mine.

thanks for trying to help...at least I got the wifi onnection utility out of it which allows me to exclude networks once they come into range which helps...the windows system doesn't even allow me to 'forget networks' when I'm not connected to it so that solves that issue at least.

If I resolve the issue, will post.

0 Kudos
CChio1
Beginner

Hi

I've found a semi-resolution after I installed the connection utility. It's not ideal as does not allow me to connect automatically to my home network, but can just use the option just when out and abroad.

First make sure the Intel connection utility is managing your network connections.

Open the connection utility, and select tools then select application settings.

Under 'Auto connect' select the 'Do not automatically connect' option.

'Automatic connection' for me is now disabled for all networks, even though each network still has the 'auto connect' option checked. So the Intel CU seems to be overriding the auto connection option.

0 Kudos