Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14546 Discussions

Now all of a sudden Hyper Threading does not Work! Please Help!

JTray1
Beginner

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit

E3-1235 Zeon Processor (no overclocking)

Asus P8BWS MB C206 B version (latest BIOS)

Kingston KVR 1333D3E9SK2/8GB x 4 (also tried with one stick) memory

OCZ Vertex4 SSD (VTX4-25SAT3-512G M x 2 in RAID 0) (also tried a single Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001)

Corsair HX850 Power Supply and Obsidian case

OK, so I'm at my wits end. Everything was running just fine for about 6 months. Then "all of a sudden", a week ago, while in Windows 8, the system reboots all by itself to the log on screen, and before I can log in again, it starts rebooting again! The log on screen fails and reboots, over and over.

So I disconnected everything except bare-bones (above) with different scenarios including many BIOS resets, a different hard drive, reinstalling Windows 8 FAIL (the error message was that "Windows did not shut down properly". I tried installing WinXP 32 Bit - SUCCESS. After further research on the Asus P8BWS MB (http://denihow.com/asus-p8b-ws-endless-reboots/ ASUS P8B WS - Endless Reboots) Also see http://superuser.com/questions/412323/asus-p8b-ws-endless-reboots motherboard - ASUS P8B WS - Endless Reboots - Super User, and http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61041.html http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61041.html), I discovered that disabling Hyper Threading enabled me to install Windows 8 again. This tells me it's a hardware issue, either the CPU, MB or PS???

Where do I go from here??? I think this is the CPU - please advise.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello JTraynor77,

Now that you have Windows 8 installed, did you enable Hyper Threading again?

If you did so, are you experiencing any additional issue on your system or it is working fine?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JTray1
Beginner

Sylvia,

Yes, I went back into the BIOS and enabled Hyper Threading and am getting the same new shutdown errors and endless reboots at the login screen. I can login normally with Hyper Threading disabled in the BIOS and the fresh install of Windows 8.

I've since spoken with Victor of tech support this morning (Incident # 5386093). Victor has suggested to RMA the board first, then trying to install Windows 8 again before doing an RMA for the processor.

Before I RMA the board, I may get another power supply and try installing with a new Power Supply?

Any advice you have is welcome Sylvia.

What puzzles me is it worked for six months with Hyper Threading enabled, now the system will not boot to the login screen, even with a fresh install of Windows 8 bare bones with one stick of RAM and a new hard drive on a different port.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello JTraynor77,

I think replacing the motherboard will be the only way to discard if the processor is or not defective.

I don't think the issue is related to the power supply since it is an 850 Watts power supply, so it is more than enough.

Once you received the replacement motherboard, please test it out of the chassis, with minimum configuration.

Do not update the BIOS if it is not necessary, because the issue could be related to a chance on a previous BIOS updated,

Regards.

0 Kudos
JTray1
Beginner

Thanks Sylvia, will do.

No BIOS flashing?? Hmmm.

I will report back after receiving the P8BWS RMA board and will continue this folly.

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
JTray1
Beginner

I got my RMA P8BWS board back last week. After checking the serial number, I confirmed that this board is the same exact board that I sent to ASUS to have replaced!

I installed the board, processor and PS with one piece of memory, and noticed it still has the same BIOS 2106!

ASUS did not send a replacement board, nor did they roll back the BIOS. ASUS did not give an explanation what they did, if they did anything at all - very frustrating.

I tried another clean install of Win 8 and the install failed with H-T enabled and I am still getting the endless reboots!

I am very upset. All I want is a motherboard that will work with H-T. What should I do now?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

JTraynor77, I am not sure why ASUS sent you the same motherboard, but I am pretty sure they should give you an explanation about it.

I remember a customer who recieved the same motherboard from us, but it was because the motherboard was not defective. At this point, what you can do is contact ASUS again.

0 Kudos
JTray1
Beginner

Sylvia,

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I contacted ASUS again. ASUS is now doing an Advance Replacement (cross shipment) for the replacement P8BWS motherboard. I will let you know as this continues to unfold.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos