Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Lenovo Y500 Centrino N2230 connective issue with Windows 8

KWang52
Beginner

Hey guys,

I just got the Lenovo Y500 a few months ago and it came with the Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230.

The WiFi on this laptop kept on disconnecting after a while of usage, at first I thought it was the laptop's problem but after I got a replacement the problem still occurs. I tried this with other Wifi connections at my University and home and friend's house but it still kept on disconnecting after a while.

Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem? I think I heard it's to do with the the Windows 8 x64 I'm currently running on.

This is what I've tried so far:

1. Got replacement

2. Downloaded newest drivers and installed them

Symptoms of this problem:

1. Disconnects after a while, it shows network available but I cannot connect to them

2. Sometimes, it doesn't show any network (i.e all my WiFi connections are not visible)

3. I cannot restart my WiFi because I go into Windows 8 "Change pc settings" and it says I cannot turn off my WiFi

This problem is really bugging me because every time this happens I have to restart my laptop!

I would really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

I am sorry to know about the issue you are experiencing.

I am not fully aware of such WiFi switch in Windows* 8; however, usually the computer manufacturer provides a hardware switch, key combination or software utility for this purpose, or even a combination of such methods. Please refer to the system manufacturer in order to check with them about this feature.

It is possible the issue is power related. Try disabling the power management for the wireless adapter in Device manager (Control Panel); double click the Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 2230 to open the Properties window, the option is found in the Power management tab.

In case the issue is related to Windows* Wireless zero configuration you may use the Intel® PROSet Software instead. You may open it from the hidden icons in the taskbar and connect to your network with it. In the advanced menu you can choose to use Windows* or this utility to manage WiFi.

Please run the Manual Diagnostics Tool found in the Tools menu and post the results if the issue persists.

If the Intel® PROSet Software is not installed you may need to uninstall the driver and reinstall the full version package in custom mode so you can select the software to be installed.

I hope the suggestions help.

KWang52
Beginner

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the help. I will check up with Lenovo about the feature, that's quite strange actually because I can't find any physical button on the laptop that can switch the WiFi off.

I've disabled the power management already and so far the problem hasn't reoccurred.

Can you give me a link to the Software/driver I was meant to download and install? I checked on the website but I don't know which one is the proper one.

I will see how it goes and keep you updated if the problem occurs again in the future and send you the diagnostics.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may install Wireless_15.8.0_e(32/64).exe depending on the operating system architecture (32 or 64 bit):

Intel® PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm

0 Kudos
KWang52
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I had this problem again just then and I had to restart my laptop. Here's what happened:

1. So it suddenly shows network available and not connected:

2. Then I ran the manual diagnostics and found this:

3. I restarted my laptop, and it ran into blue screen saying: driver_power_state_failure

4. I came back and this happened:

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would suggest you to contact the system manufacturer since it looks like a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
SYILD3
Beginner

I have Lenovo Y500 (59-360470) with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230. Today, I have bought a new modem, Asus DSL-N10E. The old one is Pikatel AirMax-101. I got a lot of problem while playing online games. Suddenly ping values had been increased. So I made a decision to buy Asus DSL-N10E. Since I use Asus modem, I drop from the Wi-Fi and can't connect to it for a few seconds. Sometimes I can't see any Wi-Fi.

I have also an external Wi-Fi adapter called Alfa AWUS036H. While I'm using it, nothing like that events have occured. I use the latest driver for N2230. I'm gonna take my laptop for service. I hope some of you would find a solution for this problem guys.

Greetings from Turkey

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Perhaps a BIOS update can be of help. Please report back with your findings.

0 Kudos
SYILD3
Beginner

I have found a solution for this problem in Lenovo forum. I was using WPA2(TKIP) as my Wireless Security Setting, so I was suffering from Wi-Fi drops. Since I have changed it to WPA2(AES), I don't have these problems anymore.

These settings must be done in security settings of your modem or router. Also you must use the latest Intel drivers. It helps the card to gain signal strength.