Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

Intel Centrino N 2230 not connecting until user logon and disconnect on user logoff

GSaun1
Beginner

Intel Centrino N 2230 wireless. It appears when you are not logged in the wireless is not connected or when you log off it will disconnect the wireless. We need this to be connected at boot so we can remote into the computer. This probably has something to do with Intel settings in the administrator tool, but need assistance on what exactly to configure to keep wireless connected even when not logged in. We also need to have the wireless disable when ethernet is plugged in. I have seen this setting before on other Intel cards via the Administration Tool, but didn't see it on this one.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

Greg
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Greg, in this case you may want to create a Persistent profile with the Administrator Tool so the adapter will be connected even when the user is not logged on. You may also enable Adapter Switching so the wireless adapter will be disconnected whenever the Ethernet cable is connected.

Please check the instructions in the Intel® Proset user guide (pages 65 and 92 respectively):

http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v13_user_guide.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v13_user_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
GSaun1
Beginner

Joe,

Here is what the help file says:

<<

Persistent Profile

Persistent profiles are applied at boot time or whenever no one is logged on the computer. After a user logs off, a

Persistent profile maintains a wireless connection either until the computer is turned off, or a different user logs

on.

NOTE

: Persistent profiles are not supported for Windows Vista* or Windows* 7. See

Single Sign-on Considerations

for Windows Vista* and Windows* 7

>>

So to me it says it is NOT supported. Is the documentation incorrect? Am I reading something incorrectly?

Thanks,

Greg
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The information is correct. Our best suggestion is to contact Microsoft* in order to see if they offer an alternative solution using Windows* Wireless Zero Configuration being this an operating system limitation.

0 Kudos
GSaun1
Beginner

These are Dell units and until I started using Intel's WIFI I didn't have this issue. The Dell wifi connects and stays connected before login and after so this is something to do with Intel in my mind.

I'll switch to Windows configuration and see if that resolves it... BUT that is where I will lose the adapter switching if I don't use Intel's software to control things right?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I verified, adapter switching also operates while Windows* manages the WiFi connection.

0 Kudos