Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Windows 8.1 on Intel core 2 duo e6750 not working?

kro1
Beginner

I tried to install the new Windows 8.1 preview but the installer said that I can't do this.

I have an old system but according to Coreinfo software (I have NX Enabled in BIOS, PAE. SSE2), it can be done, but unfortunately the resoults are not as I want .

My PC:

Proc: Intel core 2 duo E6750, 2666 Mhz (8x333)

MB: Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2

RAM: 2 GB DDR2

HDD WDC WD4000AAJS-65YFA0 SATA-II

Is it a problem with this specific proccesor? Do I have to change it or do I have to buy a new system?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The processor that you have supports NX, in Intel(R) processors this is called Execute Disable Bit. The issue could be that this is disabled in your system BIOS (so you need to check with your motherboard manufacturer), or the BIOS of your motherboard does not have support for this feature (hence it does not recognize this feature from the processor) which is rare; or your operating system installer is unable to detect this in the system you have, which would be an operating system issue.

In this case you should check directly with your motherboard manufacturer and operating system developer for troubleshooting on this.

As a reference you may check the information posted on the following linkx:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2 What is PAE, NX, and SSE2 and why does my PC need to support them to run Windows 8? - Microsoft Windows Help

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx PAE/NX/SSE2 Support Requirement Guide for Windows 8

A similar thread was created on this and was resolved doing a fresh install not an upgrade, which seems to confirm that this is an operating system problem:

kro1
Beginner

It looks I made a wrong interpretation for BIOS line regarding NX.

In my BOIS this line is called "No-Execute Memory Protect" and this was set as "Enabled". I assumed that this must be the right setting but I was wrong, so I set it to "Disabled" and everything is going well.

I am writing now from the new W8.1 Preview

Anyhow, you give me a hint to try this.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Glad to know you were able to install your operating system! I have to admit that the name they used in that BIOS setting is kind of weird to interpret.

If you run into any problems in the future or have any questions of a technical nature, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

0 Kudos
GNidy
Beginner

Hi all,

Pls help me to know the following.

I have Intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66 Ghz processor on Intel DG33FB motherboard having 2GB RAM now and can insert up to 8GB. Pls let me know wether I can install windows 8 pro 64 bit OS !!!? (right now im running win 2003 server 32 bit and windows xp in dual mode) I want to have single win 8 pro. Pls let me know

0 Kudos
GNidy
Beginner

Hi all,

Pls help me to know the following.

I have Intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66 Ghz processor on Intel DG33FB motherboard having 2GB RAM now and can insert up to 8GB. Pls let me know wether I can install windows 8 pro 64 bit OS !!!? (right now im running win 2003 server 32 bit and windows xp in dual mode) I want to have single win 8 pro. Pls let me know

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi girimam,

This thread is related to a different issue than the one you have. I recommend you opening a new thread so we can provide the assistance.

0 Kudos