Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

Does Optane SSD 900p 480GB PCIe work in a PCIe x1 slot?

RInte1
Beginner

Can the Intel Optane 900p 480GB PCIe SSD fit and work in a PCIe x1 slot? I'm assuming it will ruin the performance (like 25%?) if it would work?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

In order to better understand your concern, could you please clarify if you refer to PCIe version 1.0 by 4 lanes or PCIe 3.0 by 1 lane?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner

Well I think I need to know both as I have a https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-UD3H-rev-1x# sp GA-Z87X-UD3H (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global which seems to have a pci 1.0 slot 1x . But if I went for a new motherboard I would need to check if it has the right size slots even if it has 3.0 1x slots.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

looking at the specs for your motherboard it seems that the storage configuration does not support NVMe*. We recommend you to confirm with Gygabyte* the compatibility with the NVMe* protocol.

Also, the drive requires PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 so you may want to verify a motherboard that meets the requirement.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner

Ok, but a PCIe 3.0 1x slot is enough then?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

Thanks for the reply.

The SSD may work but you will not get the full performance and speed of the drive. If you want the full performance you will need to connect the drive to the PCIe NVMe* 3.0 x4 slot.

However, if the PCIe 3.0 1x does not support NVMe* the drive will not work either.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner

Ok, thanks, guess I will have to pay attention for NVMe support...I believe that only became commonplace since about two years?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

We would like to inform you that NVMe* support became common starting around the Intel® Z97 Chipset or Intel® X99 Chipsets.

Anything newer like these chipsets may support NVMe* natively. However, we recommend you to contact the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html motherboard manufacturer in order to confirm the full compatibility with it.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
RInte1
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rygir,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos