Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

I7-7700HQ downclocking on low temps ?!?

Jwal
Novice

My laptop while playing a game has decicided to drop to 1.68GHZ (base 2.8ghz) turbo(3.8ghz) on 40% load while playing this game, Before you ask my temps I am quite confused to why it would need to downclock itself

My temps are 55c on this game and Im annoyed to why it does this.

My laptop fails to reach 3.8Ghz as its max turbo boost should.

Does anyone know on XTU how to increase the turbo boost time or increase the clock speed. Its not an overclockable chip and I was wondering if there is a nother way.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Joshtheboss.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are facing some problems with the frequency of your processor. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Joshtheboss.

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided.

In this case, I will highly recommend you to access the UEFI BIOS of your system by pressing F2 or Escape during the laptop's POST and make sure that the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and the Intel® Speed Step features are activated.

In addition, I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Jwal
Novice

My Bios does not contain intel speed step or turbo boost. Its pretty trash honestly its a inyseik bios I think . Next PC I'm getting will have the i9 8950HK which I can overclock and which can solve the problem Of low turbo boosts

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Joshtheboss.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Please bear in mind that the processor's frequency might change as it requires too and depending on the task that is running.

You can run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify if the health of the processor. Additionally, you can try to use a different software to monitor the processor's frequency.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Joshtheboss.

I would like to double check if you were able to run the test mentioned in the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos