Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Help - Iris graphics 540 freezes on surface pro

idata
Employee

I have a Surface Pro 4 running WIndows 10, on which I've installed the Intel Iris 540 graphics driver, rather than using the Microsoft-provided drivers. This is necessary because I use a Surface dock with two monitors attached, and I need to switch back and forth between the two monitors (and, if I want, the Surface's native screen). This can be done with the Intel Graphics Control Panel, but not with Windows alone. (Windows seems to assume that you would only ever want to switch between the native display and a single monitor, or to extend the display across all the monitors - it is impossible to choose to have the third monitor active alone. But that is what I need.)

The problem I am encountering is brief pauses, during which the computer hangs for a second or two. This happens only after switching between monitors, then disconnecting the Surface from the dock (and hence, the monitors). Then, whether the Surface is connected to the monitors or not, I get these very annoying brief hangs.

Others have rhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/panel-self-refresh-causes-screen-freezing-on/3f85075e-efee-4ad0-a116-118429536768 eported similar issues, and have solved the problem by disabling "Panel Self Refresh" in the Iris Graphics Control Panel. This helps a little, but typically after switching back and forth between monitor and Surface native display a couple of times, I start to see the brief hangs. The only thing I've found that seems to help is to disable the Intel graphics driver in the Device Manager - but then I can't use the Iris Control Panel functionality, including switching among monitors. Once I re-enable the driver, the hanging problem starts again. Rebooting does solve the problem, but I'm posting here to ask if anyone knows of a solution that does not involve rebooting.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, snic.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are having some freezing problems when switching between displays with your https://www.microsoft.com/en-mo/surface/devices/surface-pro-4/tech-specs Surface Pro 4. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

For me to perform a deeper research regarding this case I would like to know the model of the displays you are using and the cables you are using to connecting those. In addition, which is the resolution and refresh rate set on the monitors? And, if you do not mind, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antony,

I have the Surface Pro 4 in a dock. One monitor is a Dell 3007WFPHC. It is connected via an active (powered) mini display port to DVI converter. The second monitor is a LG Ultrawide 29UB65-P. It is connected via mini display port to display port adapter, and an active (powered, signal-boosting, 20 ft long) display port cable.

Note that the freezes usually begin to happen after removing the Surface from its dock. They happen when the computer is using its native display, and also when I re-attach it to the dock and use the monitors. They happen, but less frequently, if I keep the Surface in the dock and don't remove it while the computer is on for the day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, snic.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

By checking on your system configuration I can see that the graphics drivers are outdated. Please download the latest graphics drivers version (4944) by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27484/a08/win64_15.65.3.4944.zip here. Then, in order to complete the installation, please follow these steps:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

**Please complete this step until the "Display adapter" section in the Device Manager shows "Microsoft® Basic Adapter"**

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, snic.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I solved the problem a different way. Rather than updating with the Intel-provided driver, I uninstalled the old version of the Intel-provided driver and let Windows install the driver provided by Microsoft (version 21.20.16.4627). This seems to work much better, without the momentary freezing behavior I was experiencing before.

The disadvantage is that I can't use the Intel graphics control panel. However, the only thing I needed the control panel for is to switch among monitors. I found a simple, free open source program that accomplishes this function perfectly, called https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/ Monitor Profile Switcher. This is actually easier to use than the clunky Intel interface.

So, thanks for your help, but it looks like the Surface Pro 4 really needs to use the Microsoft-provided drivers, not the latest Intel versions.

0 Kudos