Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

BSOD with ACPI BIOS ERROR during Windows boot

siodp
Beginner

Yesterday my machine rebooted without any warning. I have not been able to find the reason for this reboot. There was nothing changed at the system. I have neither touched the BIOS configuration nor the operating system. I have found the server running, but stuck at the very beginning of POST. The POST Error Code gave me the value "DB" and the system beeped six times short about every 10 minutes. Unfortunately this system state is not documented at all. The only way out of this situation has been a CMOS clear.

Now POST runs through without errors. After configuring BIOS (UEFI Boot, Intel VT-x, etc.) I tried to boot into the installed operating system (Windows Server 2016). The screen will show the windows logo for about 3 seconds, before a BSOD appears with the stop code "ACPI BIOS ERROR". I get the same result if I try a new installation of Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2012 R2. The system will load Windows PE from USB Drive fine. Afterwards the process of booting (Windows logo) will be interrupted after 3 seconds and results into a blue screen with ACPI BIOS ERROR.

So far I have tried:

• Checking Error Log of BIOS > No errors logged
  • Checking Error Log of BMC > No errors logged
  • Checking Sensors within BMC > Everything is OK
  • Multiple BIOS configurations
  • Changing RAM Modules and RAM Benches
  • Changing CPUs

System Details: Intel P4308CP4MHGC Case, Intel S2600CP Mainboard with latest BIOS (v02.06.0006), 2x Intel Xeon 2620v2, 64Gb RAM (registered ECC)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FrogThomas2,

Regarding your question, "BSOD with ACPI BIOS ERROR during Windows boot".

BSOD normally can happen with problem with Hardware or Software.

I will recommend to test the BIOS on Default settings.

Also, to test it with minimum hardware configuration, meaning 1 CPU and 1 Memory Stick.

Next if the the BSOD continues, I will recommend to reinstall the OS but first make sure you have the BIOS with the options enable that you need.

This because the BSOD could also happens if you do mayor changes on the BIOS, for example if you enable VT could cause windows to crash.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrogThomas2,

I just will like to follow up and verify if there is something else I can help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Siliconbrain,

I just will like to follow up and verify if there is anything else I can help.

Please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
siodp
Beginner

The system is back to business.

It seems like the initial problem has been caused by some kind of RAID Controller or HDD Error. Some data stored within a certain LUN was not readable. When I tried to boot from this broken media the described BSOD appeared.

In order to resolve this issue I restored all bios settings to defaults and afterwards reinstalled the system completely.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrogThomas2,

Thank you very much for the update. I will keep it for possible future errors.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos