Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Vroc with on board m.2 pcie ssd drive

PJaks
Beginner

Hi,

Nowhere is mentioned is it possible to add m.2 pcie ssd from on board port in VMD domain pool? Or is ist possible to create raid with vroc on those m.2 pcie ssd. They are linked to PCH 62X but PCH is linked with pcie lanes to CPU so its no sense that this is not possible, but in documentation there is no any information regarding this. It will be very nice for 1U system for example 1304 or 1208 to create raid on those m.2 pcie ssd with vroc.

Please clarify is it possible or not, or is planed in future to be possible.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Petar,

In order to provide you with an accurate answer, Could you please let me know what is the mode of the server board you are using?

0 Kudos
PJaks
Beginner

Hi GeogeSV,

I'm not using, I sale Intel servers. This detail is not mentioned in technical product configuration or configuration guide. I know that PCH have 20 PCIe lanes, but I don't know are they directly linked to CPU and is VMD able to get those M.2 PCIe drives in domain pool whit other NVMe SSD? For me that have sens, and would be nice if user can add those M.2 PCIe drive in Raid with VROC. For example if costumer buy system 1208, whit 8 x 2.5 drive and 2 x M.2 drive. It would be nice to have all 8 drive for storage and system instaled on M.2 with VROC Raid.

So question is general for all S2600WF board is it possible to M.2 PCIe drives be add to VMD domain pool, and create VROC Raid with those drIves?

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Per Technical Product Documentation, Neither ESRT2 nor RSTe have RAID support for PCIe M.2 SSDs when installed to the M.2 connectors on the server board.

Please check the link below, page 62, section 6.3.1.1 for more information

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

0 Kudos
PJaks
Beginner

Hi GeorgeSV,

I have question regarding Optane P4800X.

On intel training, in presentation is stated that SSD Optane can go in memory pool. For example ssd of 375GB is it possible to 200GB add to memory pool and rest to be as for regular SSD for storing data?

When adding in memory pool P4800X 375GB SSD can they store data when is turned off? So if P4800X SSD work as RDIMM can he store data after power is off?

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

For this question, please create a new interaction, since the Optane support is handled by a different team.

Regards

0 Kudos