Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Does HD 630 not support 10-bit h.264/AVC?

ggabo1
Beginner

I recently bought a new computer with Pentium G4600 (and with integrated graphics HD 630). Downloaded some jellyfish video test files and I was pleasantly surprised by the integrated GPU's performance even in files with bitrates I'll probably never come across. There are AVC, HEVC, HEVC 10-bit encodes in the jellyfish files (all are hardware accelerated by the HD 630). Then I tried some 10-bit AVC files from Kodi's sample page and there was non hardware accelleration for them. Is it just me or HD 630 has support for 8-bit AVC, 8-bit HEVC,10-bit HEVC but not for 10-bit AVC?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

I understand that you are having problems with the acceleration of some 10-bit AVC files, I apologize for any inconvenience.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, according to the technical specifications of the unit it should actually accelerate the different H.264 and AVC. You can refer to the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/3rd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.pdf

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ggabo1
Beginner

Thank you very much for your answer, and yes, I have no hardware acceleration for 10-bit AVC.

I have attached the information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

Thank you for your response,

After some analysis and checking the information provided I was able to find some information relevant to the issue at hand. For example, and please confirm:

1) The monitor that you are using is a 17" LCD connected via VGA.

2) Your resolution is 1280x1024 @72Hz.

3) You are currently using the latest driver version: 23.20.16.4944.

Since this is the case, I was actually double-checking the information and the "sample videos" mentioned by you and first off I would like to start by mentioning that we were unable to find any "8-bit" files for testing. Also, the "10-bit" AVC/HEVC are actually for resolutions starting at 1920x1080 and up to 4K. This would mean that the software is unable to reproduce the full resolution through the hardware you currently have.

I would also like to know exactly how you are being able to check that the unit is accelerating the hardware or not when playing a video.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ggabo1
Beginner

Yes, that is right:

1) I'm using a 17" LCD via vGA

2) max resolution (and currently active) is 1280x1024 @60-75HZ

3) I've checked in the device manager, I'm using driver version: 23.20.16.4944

I can play UHD (3840x2160) HEVC with no problem (with hardware decoding, resized automatically to 1280x720). I don't think screen resolution has anything to do with decoding.

With LAV Filters you are able to select which decoder you want to use and see the active hardware accelerator (which, in the case of 10-bit AVC, is none, and with 8-bit AVC and HEVC is the HD 630).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

I was reviewing some information and I was able to find some details. In fact, the processor itself and the HD 630 do support the 8-bit and 10-bit AVC and HEVC codecs. Nevertheless the 10-bit ones are only supported with HDMI or Display Port connections. VGA does not support the 10-bit hardware acceleration.

I was able to find this information in the Datasheet which I provided previously, I actually took a screenshot of the table with the comparison of the different bit rates and the interfaces that support them. Please refer to the image attached.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ggabo1
Beginner

I don't think the display device has any effect on video decoding. I can play 10-bit HEVC (with hardware acceleration) via VGA connection (as I wrote earlier). Nonetheless I managed to borrow a display with HDMI connector, and now I can say for sure: video files encoded in 10-bit AVC don't get hardware acceleration, not via VGA nor HDMI, on my computer (with a fresh installation of Windows 10). My current monitor (1280x1024 via VGA) may not display all what a 10-bit HD video can offer, but I want to upgrade my monitor soon, and if the GPU (the integrated GPU HD 630) can handle 10-bit AVC, I would like it to work on my computer too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

I was double-checking the information and I was able to find a table that shows the hardware accelerated video decoding, you can refer to the attachment. We would like to do some testing on our side so I will need you to fill out the information that shows in the link below:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Also, please refer to the link below so you can attempt to generate a Graphics Report, attach it to the thread and send it to us so we can review it as well:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

If possible, please provide us with the direct link of the "AVC 8-bit" file that you tested, as well as the "AVC 10-bit" please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ggabo1
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

There is no hardware acceleration for 10-bit AVC video (for 8-bit AVC, HEVC and 10 -bit HEVC hardware acceleration is working)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Pentium G4600 with integrated GPU HD 630

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt solid windowtext; border-bottom: 1pt sol...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all of the information. Now we are going to proceed and review all of the details. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible after my investigation is complete.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gabo,

Thank you for patiently waiting,

After some research and investigation I was able to confirm that in fact, this graphics controller does not support hardware acceleration for 10-bit AVC. This was actually confirmed while doing some more research and checking the information about the controller itself.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ggabo1
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos