Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

cooling my i5 system

idata
Employee

Hi,

I've got the latest MacBook Pro with some kind of heating problem. When ever I use the processor on 100% the fan goes up and the temperature reaches 95 to 100°C. (even with the fan on full speed). I think the problem is design related but I can't change the design nor put a couple more fans inside; so I'm looking for a solution to keep my cpu/gpu cool.

I've got a I5-2435M (2,4 GHz) and a Intel HD3000.

First question is: What is hot? What's the critical temperature for my system?

What happens when it gets too hot? Does it has a hardware thermal shutdown?

Is it damaging the chips or other hardware when it's running quite hot?

(Mac OS probably has a software thermal shutdown but you never know if this is working when you use Bootcamp and win7)

Is it worth looking into disabling the Turbo-Boost, Hyperthreading or underclocking the cpu to get the system running cooler?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Tomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The maximum recommended temperature for the Intel Core i5-2435M is 100 degrees Celsius.

You can double check this information at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/60636/Intel-Core-Processor-i5-2435M-(3M-Cache-2_40-GHz) http://ark.intel.com/products/60636/Intel-Core-Processor-i5-2435M-(3M-Cache-2_40-GHz)

As long as the processor does not run above 100 degrees Celsius, it will be running under thermal specifications.

If the processor runs above 100 degrees Celsius, and the processor came pre-installed on your MacBook* system, I would suggest contacting them for any warranty option.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Adolfo.

So I will watch my CPU temperature and when it's over 100 degrees Celsius I will contact Apples customer service.

But just for my curiosity; will the temperature drop when I disable Hyperthreading (because the CPU is more idle than before) or if I disable Turboboost (no automatic overclocking)?

0 Kudos