Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14533 Discussions

1,65 V RAM voltage to high for Sandybridge ?

idata
Employee

Hello community,

Iam using memory with 1600 Mhz which has a standard voltage of 1,65 V.

Can I use the memory with 1,65 V without harming my Core I7 2600K ?

Or is that to much for the CPU internal memory controller ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

This Processor requires memory designed at 1066 or 1333 Mhz and 1.5 volts. Working out of these specifications will be forcing the CPU memory controller to downgrade the speed and voltage causing different issues affecting the system performance and also may damage the Processor.

This overvolting generally involves running a processor out of its specifications, which may damage it or shorten CPU life.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

This Processor requires memory designed at 1066 or 1333 Mhz and 1.5 volts. Working out of these specifications will be forcing the CPU memory controller to downgrade the speed and voltage causing different issues affecting the system performance and also may damage the Processor.

This overvolting generally involves running a processor out of its specifications, which may damage it or shorten CPU life.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alvaro,

thanks for your feedback.

Why would downgrading the speed and the voltage as you said may damage the cpu ?

I thought only higher values are dangerous.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry to bother you but why does the Intel(R) Desktop Board DZ68BC Product Guide say on page 9 of my copy that this board supports DDR3 SDRAM DIMM 2133MHz to DDR3 !066MHz Dimms.

"if the board does not support the above range then I am one of hundreds of others are really mad" I bought the board because It was supposed to handle a wide range of memory speeds.

Please have someone with authority explain this on the users forum Thank You James Guth jagdesign @q.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You dont really understand, do you?

Yes, your DZ68BC supports those speeds. But your Sandy Bridge memory controller does not because its native support for ddr3 memory is 1066/1333MHz @ 1.5V.

If you have Ivy Bridge cpu the case is 1333/1600MHz.

People who are buying overclocking motherboards should understand the risks involved.

Running your cpu out of its specifications voids your warranty.

0 Kudos