Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

The Intel® Driver Update Utility crashes IE 9 on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

idata
Employee

I want to make sure I don't screw things up and install the wrong driver, so I want to use the utility. But when click "Check your sytem for the latest updates" windows crashes and reloads. If I click "Are you having trouble running the Intel® Driver Update Utility?" and then click http://content.systemrequirementslab.com.s3.amazonaws.com/global/bin/intel_srldetect_4.5.3.0.msi Download the ActiveX*/Java* installer I get the error "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporarily Internet Files\Content.IE5\8F5R31AL\SystemRequirementsLab.msi.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

I tested the IDUU with IE 9 and it is working properly, I recommend you to download and install the latest API for ActiveX*/Java and test it again, if this doesn't work just let me know the graphics controller model you are using and I will give you the link:

You can use this document to confirm the graphics controller model of your system:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009478.htm?wapkw=%28graphics++controller%29 http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009478.htm?wapkw=%28graphics++controller%29

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same issue but my system is a Vista 32 bit machine. I don't have an answer, but I'll provide some additional information that I am observing.

The error message claims a network error occurred attempting to open the file SystemRequirementsLab.msi, but when I check my file system at the time the errror occurs, that file doesn't exist in the folder it is suppose to be located. I've tryied running the file from the internet and I also download the file and then executed the download file. The directory changes when you do this, but in both situations SystemRequirementsLab.msi doesn't exist at the time of the error. The only thing to conclude is that there is some kind of bug in the downloaded install program. Given that someone claims it works, you might guess that there probably is some kind of permission that is preventing the file from being extracted. I tried a search to see if I could find SystemRequirementsLab.msi. I found SystemRequirementsLab.inf which is located in Window/Downloaded Program Files. Here's what it contained:

; ========================= SystemRequirementsLab.inf =========================

[version]

; version signature (same for both NT and Win95) do not remove

signature="$CHICAGO$"

AdvancedINF=2.0

[Setup Hooks]

hook.msi=hook.msi

[Add.Code]

SystemRequirementsLab.msi=SystemRequirementsLab.msi

[SystemRequirementsLab.msi]

hook=hook.msi

[hook.msi]

run="""%EXTRACT_DIR%\SystemRequirementsLab_Setup.exe""" "/i %EXTRACT_DIR%\SystemRequirementsLab.msi /qn"

; ========================= SystemRequirementsLab.inf =========================

---------------

One interesting thing is that when I did a search to find the file SystemRequirementsLab.msi it found SystemRequirementsLab.inf (I wouldn't have expected that). If I bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to "Windows/Downloaded Program FIles", I can't find the file existing in that folder even tough my view option allow my to see hidden and system files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just to add some weight behind what is going on, I cannot get the Driver Update Utility running on a 32-bit laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium: Internet Explorer 9 stops working with a message 'a problem has occurred on the webpage'. Interestingly, I can get the Utility to run with Firefox on the same system and also on a 64-bit PC running again Windows 7 Home Premium. I have used the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9 in all cases. At least I have a workaround on the 32-bit machine using Firefox.

Update on the above. I may have cracked it. Go to Tools-Internet options-Advanced in the settings of Internet Explorer 9. Check the box in Accelerated Graphics 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering'. Click Apply and OK and exit from Internet Explorer 9. Restart Internet Explorer 9 and navigate to the Intel Driver Update Utility. Run the Utility and hopefully it should work. This is a quick and easy fix to get the Utility running in IE9. The problem may be associated with graphics cards on older 32-bit systems such as my Dell Inspiron 9400. It may not be necessary to keep the software rendering checked in the IE9 settings for other browser activities. Let me know if it works for you.

idata
Employee

Hi, I'm having the same problem, IE 9 crashes when trying to use the Intel Driver Utility update, I have Windows 7 64 Bits, did you finally found a solution for this?

Best Regards

Federico Franco Jaramillo

0 Kudos
CLane2
Beginner

Hello weltonboy,

I believe you did crack it. I was building a SOHO server using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard with Internet Explorer 8 and experienced the same above-described crash. I wanted to stay with Internet Explorer 8 and I could not readily find an advanced setting related to accelerated graphics. Rather than hunt for the setting in Internet Explorer, I approached the problem from another direction. I knew the Core i7 processor had the Intel HD Graphics 4000 in it. So, I downloaded the correct video driver, installed it, and then tried the Intel Driver Update Utility again. After installing the correct video driver, the Intel Driver Update Utility worked like a charm. Therefore, I believe you have correctly identified the culprits of the crash, i.e. the Intel HD Graphics and Internet Explorer trying to use an advanced graphics function when the standard Microsoft VGA driver is installed.

With the above being said, I am surprised that this occurs. I would speculate that most people looking for Intel drivers would not have the Intel chipset or graphics drivers installed, yet the utility that is available to identify the correct Intel drivers crashes when accessed with the standard web browser that is shipped with Microsoft Windows, i.e. Internet Explorer. It just seems like this would have been one of the test cases when the developers were writing the code for the utility.

Thank you for your diligence, testing, and effort to post the working solution that you found. There's no doubt that it saved me a ton of time!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't get it to work either, and the driver for my 3rd generation i7 processor is not available for manual download, or at least I can't find it. I have i7-3610qm with intel HD4000 on it... My laptop is running glitchy so I wanted to update all drivers. The utility doesn't work in IE or Firefox. I have the latest Java, v.7 update 9... I tried checking 'use software rendering instead of GPU', like weltonboy suggested... Didn't work. I get the same error. What is this?

Obviously there is something wrong with our systems?

0 Kudos
RMyer3
Beginner

I too had the same problem in July 2013 using IE 10 with a 4770K.

As per Weltonboy and atmme2 answers, I manually updated the graphics drivers and now the utility works. Only problem is I have no other updates available. LOL. The only thing I needed the utility for was to update the graphics drivers but it wouldn't work until I updated the graphics drivers. So a chicken and egg problem, kinda silly.

Taking the tick out of IE options as per other suggestions did not work.

If you are having trouble finding drivers then make sure you look under "Graphics" drivers. First time round I installed "Processor" drivers which did not solve the problem even tho with these chips the graphics are on-chip (discreet options aside). So for instance I had to look under graphics>>4th generation>>4600 >> Win8 to get the correct graphics driver. Looking under "Processors" you wont find anything relevant or at least anything you install will not address your problem.

0 Kudos
CSucr
Beginner

The problem already identified by one of the other contributers is correct. Intel driver update utility apparently looks at the driver file name for the video card and not the Device ID contained in the system information database on the PC. By default, Microsoft windows puts in a driver for the video card called vgapnp.sys which is a decent 1024 x 768 capable single driver. Intel sees a microsoft vga driver and falls apart and crashes. A workaround is to download and install a basic intel graphic driver (Which may crash the display). In order to get around this, you start with F8 safe mode with networking. This way even though your screen may hang or go black, you can still see your screen (with crappy 640 x 480 resolution) and connect to intel support site (with a intel video card driver in the table or database or whatever the Intel Driver Utilitylooks for). Next select the driver identification utility ( make sure you first have latest java and accept the Husdawg active x) you will get an error message like "cant find systemrequirementslab.msi" or 'A device attached to the system is not functioning.' Then you select "OK" and the utility will work. Granted, this is a halfway solution; but at least you can see all the other system information and recommended driver. NOTE: After you download the recommended updates; if the driver you selected before going to the driver identification utility is not compatible with your video card, it will just stupidly give you the newest version of the same incorrect family of cards and you PC will still crash on startup. To fix this you start in safe mode and disable the video driver in the device manager and restart. When it restarts, it will load the default VGA driver again. Or you could start in F8 and say (I forget the exact wording) "Use last known good device configuration" and that will reinstall your previous default VGA card driver. Good luck and Cheers, I hope this helps everyone out. Sincerely, SUCROMATIC

Message was edited by: Carl Sucro

Message was edited by: Carl Sucro

0 Kudos