Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Can I replace my Core i7-3820 with a Core i7-4960 without having to do clean install of op sys and apps?

idata
Employee

Both processors use the same LGA 2011 socket and I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall Windows 7 and all my programs.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ZSine
Beginner

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In my long, but relatively limited detailed experience with computers, that's almost too much to hope for! It seemed like a reasonable idea, but I didn't want to charge ahead and find out too late that I had to spend FOREVER reinstalling software.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Stop now. Before you can consider changing the processor, you MUST ask the motherboard manufacturer if their BIOS supports the new processor.

To upgrade the processor, it must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

Now, with regards to Windows 7 booting successfully after such a change, the answer is MAYBE or MAYBE NOT. If you do venture down this path, make sure you have backups of your data, and your program install media. I would guess, at a minimum, you would have to enter the OS product code again to be properly validated/activated.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's a good point about the BIOS -- I'd not thought of it, but I'll certainly check it out before I do anything with the processors. I do know that the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3) is compatible with the i7-4960 processor. There's also no way I'd do anything with as much potential for disaster as this might have without having the original W7 DVD and backing up everything else. I'm going to let things lie for a bit and see what more I might learn about this before I actually get busy at it.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Bill

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I want to repeat my thank you. I just went through the Gigabyte website and found that I will indeed have to update the BIOS to accommodate the "new" processor.

Bill

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, update the bios using the old processor.

Also, you may want to review this: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005576.html How to Apply Thermal Interface Material (TIM)

Doc

0 Kudos
ZSine
Beginner

Yeah, check to be sure you don't need to update your bios to accomplish any of this. You shouldn't need to reinput your windows key but it's good to write it down to be safe.

There's really not much else to know, you seem good to go. Good luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you -- I'd just gotten onto the Gigabyte website to start researching about the BIOS.

Bill

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great information about processor compatibility. Please bear in mind this would be BIOS, processor socket but mostly BIOS. Thank you all for your feedback.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Feedback for any of you still interested: the processor swap came off so neatly I can hardly believe it! The BIOS update caused a problem until I realized it was related to a scrambled boot priority. Following the processor swap all the drivers loaded automatically amid 2 restarts and Microsoft got involved briefly to verify that things were kosher, but even that was hands off. Once all the activity was over, everything was back to normal with the new processor installed. Amazing! I'm not used to computer related things going so smoothly.

Again, thanks for the help.

Bill.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad it worked out ok.

Doc

0 Kudos