Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

AC-3160 can't connect to 5GHz

HThro
Beginner

First off... Noob here and I will explain my problem to the best of MY ability which isn't anything to brag about. Currently located in Panama, where internet speeds are "tough". I have a dish and signed up for 4 Mbps... Prior to this trip, I purchased a Asus RT-N66U router for my use while in this country. I hired someone to put the tomato firmware on it. I signed up for Unlocator services so I could watch U.S TV while here. I updated the router to the proper DNS numbers. Arrived in Panama, hooked it all up... internet use sucked. I was on the 2.4 GHz band where I was lucky if I saw 2 Mbps. I changed to the 5.0 band and wow, what a difference... download speeds were actually a little above 4 Mbps. This 5.0 supply suited my needs perfectly. Speaking of needs, my wife and I both have laptops, I have an IPAD and I have a ASUS Chromebox. We also have cell phones. My wife's laptop does not support 5.0 so her's doesn't matter. The Chromebox and the IPAD are both connected to 5.0 and have had no issues, they work great. My laptop... an ASUS with an Intel Dual Band wireless AC-3160 network adapter. Initially, my laptop connected to the 5.0. In the last week it has stopped showing up on the list of available connection points. Periodically it does show up as an option, I try to connect to it but no go....it doesn't connect and then it disappears. When I reboot the laptop or the router, it shows but then disappears... I can't figure out why the IPAD and the chromebox have no issues but my laptop does.... any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Maynard65,

We understand you're having issues detecting and connecting to your 5GHz network band.

In order to better assist you, we would like to have some more information:

1. What operating system are you using (on the laptop with the problem)?

2. Have you checked with your computer manufacturer to ensure that you're using the latest wireless drivers?

3. If you're using Windows*, please download and run our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility System Support Utility. This application will scan your computer and generate a report. Please attach this file to your response using the advanced editor (top right corner, when you're replying).

That aside, there are a couple of troubleshooting steps we can recommend:

1. Please make sure that you're using our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended wireless settings.

2. Set your wireless power plan to Maximum Performance. This is done by going to the Control Panel > Windows* Power Options > Change plan settings > Advanced power settings, then setting the wireless adapter to Maximum Performance, both while plugged in and on battery.

3. Make sure that your router is using the latest firmware version: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/ Asus* RT-N66U Downloads

4. Additionally, you may contact your computer manufacturer. Since our wireless adapters get customized by them, they're the best resource for troubleshooting information.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Maynard65,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you.

Has your issue already been resolved? Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos