Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Skylake X - 7820X Disabling 2 cores and still maintaining Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Technology with remaining 6 cores?

CFord2
New Contributor I

As above, will this be possible?

Will be using a Rampage 6 Extreme motherboard.

Would like to disable 2 cores of the 7820X yet still have ITBM 3.0 selecting the two fastest cores for short 4.5GHz bursts.

Will be running the CPU stock.

Thank you...

Cannot wait for the 900P to launch.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CFord2
New Contributor I

Monday Morning Bump.

Hopefully, one of the Intel Engineers will be able to answer this important compatibility question above.

Thank you in Advance...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello iBruce,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

Please let review this matter, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116311 iBruce, thank you for your patience.

I would like to let you know that this should be possible, and Turbo Boost should work having some cores disabled, but we strongly recommend using all cores to ensure correct functionality.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
CFord2
New Contributor I

Turbo Boost 2.0 and 3.0 will still work perfectly with the 7820X with 2cores disabled?

Also, I only need to run the CPU stock with no overclock as long as I can depend on both Turbo Boosts 2.0 and 3.0 working correctly.

So, the thermal difference/delta running the 7820X with 6-cores or all 8-cores may not be enough to even warrant disabling two of the cores, if that is the case, I will happily run "all eight cores".

With my work, I don't benefit from the extra cores, but wanting the 7820X over the 7800X for the Turbo Boost 3.0 4.5GHz feature and the increased memory speed compatibility.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As mentioned before we strongly recommend using all cores to ensure correct functionality, but according to the information mentioned above, yes, Turbo Boost should work having some cores disabled.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos