Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Why was lr200m launch file being used while Euclid has ZR300 on it?

BChen58
Beginner

I find that the launch file in Euclid's /opt/ros/indigo/share/realsense_camera/launch is for lr200m. It confuses me since the camera on Euclid is ZR300 and the official realsense_camera package does contain the launch file for ZR300....Could anyone provide information about it? By the way, is that possible to install ubuntu 16.04 server version on Euclid? If so, where can I find drivers for all hardware components on Euclid?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Although I have no specific knowledge about this, since the ZR300 shares commonalities with the R200's design, such as identical IR components, it is possible that ROS found that a LR200 launch file worked just as well with the ZR300 (the LR200 is almost identical to the R200 aside from improved RGB and IR emitter components).

The LR200 launch file is discussed more in the link below.

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help you with your server question.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Although I have no specific knowledge about this, since the ZR300 shares commonalities with the R200's design, such as identical IR components, it is possible that ROS found that a LR200 launch file worked just as well with the ZR300 (the LR200 is almost identical to the R200 aside from improved RGB and IR emitter components).

The LR200 launch file is discussed more in the link below.

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help you with your server question.

BChen58
Beginner

Thank you Marty! I was of the same opinion as you at first. But I found that the resolution was configured as half of ZR300 can do, so I wonder if Euclid team did that deliberately for some reasons.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I compared the resolution tables in the data sheet documents of the ZR300 and Euclid and they were identical. However, the data sheet does not always match up precisely to what is actually available to access in the product via its SDK software.

If performance is capped in the software's configuration then usually it is done because the development team believes that there would be a worse user experience in terms of performance lag on that particular hardware device if it were left uncapped.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I just wanted to provide a quick update. I found that someone on the Librealsense forums who was also asking about the launch files said that they could use the R200 launcher to launch the ZR300 using the following instruction:

roslaunch realsense_camera r200_nodelet_rgbd.launch camera_type:=ZR300

0 Kudos
GSR
Beginner

For "roslaunch realsense_camera lr200m_nodelet.launch camera_type:=ZR300" (the Euclid model), it does not work :S

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I saw this launch file in the Euclid tutorial 'Intro to Euclid' last week. Please give this a try.

roslaunch realsense_camera lr200m_nodelet_default.launch

0 Kudos
GSR
Beginner

Yes, that's the standard command, I meant it doesn't work with the ZR300 parameter. When I run "sudo lshw", the camera it shows is the LR200, not the ZR300 as expected, maybe having some incompatibilities with some packages.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I believe that the standard command above should normally work. Unfortunately I do not know any other rosrun launch commands for the Euclid. Could you provide details please of any messages that you get when you try to run your project? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The Euclid has the ZR300 in it, the different names of LR200M and such are used for different configurations. The LR200M is the default for Euclid and it's the one you're going to want to use.

As for the image resolution, the Euclid is configured this way because it works best out of the box, in terms of the different samples such as person following. In many cases you'd prefer to use a smaller image resolution to improve performance and save battery.

As for using the default launch file and renaming the camera as ZR300, I can understand how it will not work. The Euclid's camera appears differently from a peripheral ZR300 camera. If you could tell me what you're trying to do (feel free to open a new thread since that would help people find it more easily), I might be able to better explain what you need to do or help you find a workaround.

Regards,

Meitav

Intel Euclid Development Team