Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

New laptop no longer works with 4K TV -- it did 30 days ago -- why?

TShar3
Beginner

I have a new Dell Inspiron 5577 laptop whose display output is controlled by Intel 630 graphics. A month ago, after much trouble, I was able to get it to drive a 4K TV at 3840x2160, 29Hz. It worked then with two LG models.

Today when I plugged one of those TVs into the HDMI port the laptop screen went black and the TV reported no signal. Windows kept running, oblivious of any problem, and unplugging the TV restored the laptop display. This could be repeated indefinitely.

Of course the (severely brain dead) MS and Intel display control panels were of no help; nor did reinstalling the Graphics 630 driver make any difference.

Evidently something installed during the last month by MS, Dell or Intel (all of whose automatic updates I accept) has destroyed the previous function -- which was the main reason I bought this laptop: I really need the 4K TV connection for my photography business.

Practical help only, please.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TKSharpless,

I understand that when yo connect your TV to your computer you get a "No Signal" message on the TV screen.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please reply to this email attaching the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

What type of video cable are you using between the computer and the TV?

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
TShar3
Beginner

Thanks, Fred

The problem is resolved. The PC was set up to show desktop on external monitor only; and I had switched the TV to the wrong input connector. So I could not see the desktaop anywhere.

The external-only setting was unexpected since I had been running this PC with a different external monitor in extend mode.

It would help if the Intel display control panel would allow you to see such and edit such defaults, or in general "profiles" for monitors that are not currently connected. That would have saved me some grief in this case, since I would have been able to see that the PC screen was going to be disabled.

0 Kudos