Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Rendering Device Has Failed

ALee64
Beginner

While playing the game Overwatch, the application (game) will close suddenly. Sometimes the screen goes black, but a pop-up window reading "Rendering device has been lost! Application will now close." always shows up and closes out the game.

Sometimes, it will happen immediately upon opening Overwatch, but others it will go for around 5 minutes before it happens. This happens every time Overwatch is opened.

I am currently running Intel HD Graphics Family on a HP Envy 15-u010dx x360. My drivers are up to date.

I've pasted in the general problem table and attached the dxdiag, dsp, a screenshot of the issue, and the SSU report.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Overwatch window sometimes goes black but will show a pop-up reading "Rendering device has been lost! Application will now close." and closes out.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP Envy 15-u010dx x360. .

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

N/A

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt s...
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Actually your graphics driver 10.18.15.4248 is two years old.

Get latest official WHQL driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

------------------------------------------

If you encounter an error message about compatibility or validation, proceed like this:

Create a system restore point

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/e6bbddb0-9db4-4d88-9063-42c52c79a96e/create-a-system-restore-point

Install the desired driver via "have disk method" as described at:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface)

ALee64
Beginner

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry for my late one. I just posted this reply to Fred below, but I'm posting this to you as well.

The driver sent to me worked for a bit, until Windows just released their update (Version 1703). I tried to open Overwatch, and the game crashed with the same problem as before.

I checked the Intel website to see if there were any graphics updates, and there was, so I installed it the way I was shown to through the article Stefan provided. I installed the Intel graphics for Windows version 15.40.36.4703. The game didn't crash, but now the screen flickers between the game's graphics and a black screen with every move there is (i.e. mouse moving, graphics moving, etc.).

Please let me know if there are any suggestions I could follow to fix this.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

Were you able to try the graphics driver that was provided by Stefan3D?

Does the issue persist with our latest graphics driver?

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
ALee64
Beginner

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry for my late one.

The driver that was sent to me by Stefan worked for a bit, until Windows just released their update (Version 1703). I tried to open Overwatch, and the game crashed with the same problem as before.

I checked the Intel website to see if there were any graphics updates, and there was, so I installed it the way I was shown to through the article Stefan provided. I installed the Intel graphics for Windows version 15.40.36.4703. The game didn't crash, but now the screen flickers between the game's graphics and a black screen with every move there is (i.e. mouse moving, graphics moving, etc.).

Please let me know if there are any suggestions I could follow to fix this.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

Have you tried reinstalling Overwatch?

Does the flickering issue happen only while playing Overwatch?

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the error message you are getting while playing Overwatch. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
ALee64
Beginner

Hi Fred,

Yes I have tried reinstalling, and the flickering only happens while playing Overwatch. The problem seems to have changed now in that the game will crash sporadically -- sometimes it will run fine for weeks, others it will randomly crash with the same problem. I've also noticed that the game seems to crash if I leave it open but don't actively play.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

Thanks for the additional information you sent to me.

Let me do further research about this and then come back to you. I will post information on this forum thread as soon as I have it.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

There is a chance the issue you are having now with Overwatch was introduced with the Windows* update (Version 1703). The following link will provide more information about it https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17615463161 https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17615463161

I would like you to try disabling Windows 10* Game Mode. The link I provided above provides proper steps to disable that setting.

Let me know if issue persists after disabling Game Mode.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello selaluff,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the error message you are getting while playing Overwatch. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos