Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Registering New Nodes

SMish7
Novice

Hi,

I have installed ORB_SLAM2 in my home directory (/home/smishra) and my ros package named ORB_SLAM2 is located at /home/smishra/ORB_SLAM2/Examples/ROS/ and this particular path is in my ROS_PKG_PATH as well. when I do a roscd ORB_SLAM2 I am taken to /home/smishra/ORB_SLAM2/Examples/ROS/ORB_SLAM2/ so the package is in the rosbash. Yet, when I try to Register New Nodes in the web interface by entering the node name as mentioned in my launch file and the package name as ORB_SLAM2, a error message is flashed on the top of that dialog box and it complains that either the package ORB_SLAM2 doesnt exist or it doesnt have a folder named launch which contains a launch file. I don't understand why I have this issue despite having a package called ORB_SLAM2 which has a launch folder with an appropriate launch file.

When I do a roslaunch ORB_SLAM2 .launch on the euclid's terminal, it launches the appropriate node. So there is no reason why I should not be able to register this as a new node in the web interface.

Any help will be gratefully acknowledged!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Tsahi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi SubMarIn,

In general as you said, you can put your package in the catkin_ws and that will work.

Also you can see from the https://github.com/IntelEuclid/euclid_configuration_node/blob/master/scripts/CsRegisterNewNode.py Euclid code under 'FindLaunchFiles' we use rospkg to get launch files for that specific package.

So maybe somehow rospkg does not find your package path or underline launch files ?

Regards,

Tsahi.

Euclid Development Team.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MMurr3
Novice

I am by no means an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I did to get a new node added was:

1. cd to /Intel/Euclid/euclid_ws/src
  2. clone github repo for the node I was loading
  3. cd back to euclid_ws and run catkin_make

you should then create a new euclid node but it has to specific to the ros node name so that it will display the roslaunch and/ros publishers

0 Kudos
SMish7
Novice

Thanks! I think that's the only way of doing it. I mean, one has to create packages inside the euclid_ws or edit the scripts located at /intel/euclid/config/, which set various environments, accordingly.

Just out of curiosity, if you have the luxury of time, create a catkin_ws in your home folder and then create a package inside it and later try adding this package using the web interface. Let me know what you see.

Regards,

S.

0 Kudos
Tsahi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi SubMarIn,

In general as you said, you can put your package in the catkin_ws and that will work.

Also you can see from the https://github.com/IntelEuclid/euclid_configuration_node/blob/master/scripts/CsRegisterNewNode.py Euclid code under 'FindLaunchFiles' we use rospkg to get launch files for that specific package.

So maybe somehow rospkg does not find your package path or underline launch files ?

Regards,

Tsahi.

Euclid Development Team.

0 Kudos