Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Why won't Intel G31 chipset driver install? It asks for 'administrator rights'!

idata
Employee

The G31 chipset driver installation fails whichever installation method is attempted.

1. By installing via the EXE file, I am told "You must have administrator rights to complete this action". 2. By installing via the Windows 'have disk' method, I am told "Access is denied". What could be the reason for this problem. And how can I install these drivers?

At present my resolution is poor and I cannot support my monitor's native resolution.

Please help!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

We have not seen any reports of a similar issue with the drivers released for the Intel(R) G31 Express Chipset. The latest generic driver for this controller was released in 10/2/2009 for Microsoft* Windows* 7 and it has been installed successfully since then.

Keep in mind that we provide generic drivers for the video controllers we designed, however you computer manufacturer can alter, change, add or remove some of the features on the video controller, so they provide customized drivers to support such changes. And your operating system will always try to use the customized drivers instead of the generic ones we provide.

In this case there might a conflict on your system when trying to load our generic drivers or the operating system you have is corrupted.

You can try uninstalling any video driver currently installed and try the regular or the have disk installation again, or you may need to perform a system restore or reinstall the operating system on your computer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have naturally tried all of these things and am still confronted with the error messages as pictured. The same problem occurs with both the drivers from the Intel and the Gigabyte (motherboard manufacturer) website.

Why is it that these Intel drivers do not work?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

The fact that the driver customized for your system that is directly provided by your motherboard manufacturer does not work, just indicates that there is an isolated issue with your computer, and it might be related the operating system image that you have done. Otherwise this issue would be naturally detected by the motherboard manufacturer since they tested their systems.

I suggest you to test another operating system installation DVD or CD and try again using the latets drivers provided by your computer manufacturer included on the media that came with your computer.

0 Kudos
KLal
Beginner

I am also having same problem. I cannot install G31 drivers in Windows XP please help me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Please bear in mind that this product has reached its End of Interactive Support so Intel no longer provides interactive support for this product via telephone, chat or e-mail.

If the steps mentioned above you should check with other installation image as the issue may be related to the operating system itself. Other than this, try different version of the drivers provided by your computer/motherboard manufacturer or the generic drivers posted here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+G31+Express+Chipset Download Center

0 Kudos
DDjer
Beginner

Pipps,you can try to login to the Administrator account,if you have Windows XP,first put a password to make it easier,when you go to the login screen,if you are asked to select an account on the computer or to enter the password,press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it should now pop up a window where you can type in the username and password,for now just try for the username to type in "Administrator" and click enter,if it goes in then try to install the driver,but if you are on Windows 7,search on google how to access the administrator account on Windows 7 and then try to install the driver

0 Kudos
DDjer
Beginner

You can try to login to the administrator account.

First put a password to make it easier,when you go to the login screen,if you are asked to select an account on the computer or to enter the password,press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it should now pop up a window where you can type in the username and password,for now just try for the username to type in "Administrator" and click enter,if it goes in then try to install the driver

0 Kudos