Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5500BCR server board won't boot with dual processors installed?

idata
Employee

Hi All,

I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I have put together a server using parts specified by the Intel Server Configurator. The principal components are an intel SC5650DP chassis, an S5500BCR motherboard and dual E5506 Xeon's. The memory is 16Gbytes of validated Kingston memory. When I turn the server on I get a blank display and no beep codes. The fans do come to life but I get nothing else. If I remove the second processor, the server will boot up enough for me to get into the BIOS. The BIOS reports that DIMMA1 has failed. I have replaced DIMMA1 numerous times, I have tried another motherboard and I have tried different memory. All the fans are installed in the right places and I can confirm that the board has all the necessary power connections. I have even tried plugging in a 650W corsair powersupply just to check it wasn't a faulty PSU. Finally, I have updated the firmware to the latest available. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance

John

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You may want to check both CPU slots for bent pins.

See /message/110448# 110448 http://communities.intel.com/message/110448# 110448

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your response. I have reviewed the article you linked me to and the fault description sounds remarkably similar. I inspected the processor sockets on the motherboard as best I could and I cannot see any bent or damaged pins. I have also tried replacing the board with a brand new one and took extra care when installing the processors. The new board behaved in exactly the same way. With the old board out of the chassis I went over it again looking for any damaged pins but I just cannot see any. Having said that, I am trying to identify defects in pins which are incredibily small and obviously I cannot be 100% sure that I haven't overlooked something. With this in mind, do you have any alternative suggestions that I might be able to pursue?

Many thanks

John

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Did you try each processor one by one?

Also check the SC5650DP chassis and make sure the standoffs are installed in the correct positions:

For the Intel® Server Board S5500BC, standoffs should be installed at the following positions: K, L, M, F, 3, H, A and C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

Apologies for the slow response. I have tried switching the processors and I have now also tried a brand new processor. I dismantled the whol server and put it back together again so I can confirm that the stnadoffs are in the correct locations and that the bump stops on the underside of the board are attached. Any other ideas?

Regards

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

Last post! I double checked the standoffs whilst swapping everything into a new chassis and found one which shouldn't have been there. Removed it, rebuilt the server and it works! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. This has been giving me a headache for quite some time!

Regards

John

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Glad to know it worked.

0 Kudos