Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

S1200SPL can't connect to COM (RS-232) device (APC Smart-UPS SC620VA).

idata
Employee

Serial port is enabled in BIOS.

The same device with the same cable successfully connected to another motherboad (asus z97-a), so device problem is excluded. Tried Win2012,Win2008R2,Win8.1

Should I change something else on this motherboard to make it work with UPS by serial port?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

The settings that can be changed at a BIOS level for the serial port are under Advanced> Serial Port Configuration:

Serial A Enable

Serial A Address

Serial A IRQ

In order to know how to configure these settings we strongly recommend checking with APC directly.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

On asus Z97-A I have next settings:

Serial port Enable

IO = 3F8h

IRQ = 4

and device is working fine

On s1200spl I have next settings:

Serial A Enable = Enable

Serial A Address = 3F8h

Serial A IRQ = 4

and no responce from device

Do you really think that connection problem is on the UPS side?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

As far as I understand you are following settings for an Asus* board and these settings will vary from manufacturer. We can confirm that from our side there is no specific documentation explaining how to configure this specific APC device; reason why we recommend contacting the manufacturer directly. There is also the chance of incompatibility since we have not tested this UPS and you can confirm that with the manufacturer as well.

0 Kudos