Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

IAStorUI error when hitting Manage in IRSTconsole, and IRST not available at boot

TThom19
Novice

Hi all. First time posting a message. I was running Windows XP with two 500gb Seagate Barracuda drives in RAID 1. I know system is old, but I only use it at work for one small purpose, and it'll be too much expense and effort to upgrade entire system. Anyway, IRST informed me that one drive could have potential for failure. With the potential of not finding exact new 500gb drives, I decided to upgrade to 1tb drives.

I followed Intel's instructions at http://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005837.html http://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005837.html

I was cruising along and able to get all the way to instruction # 16. (so I rebuilt data to new drive, restarted, reset disks to non-raid, removed old drive so it had one drive, rebooted and partitioned new drive to include unallocated space, ie: going from 500gb to 1tb, turned off system, attached second new drive, and booted up)

When I booted up, first thing I noticed was that the "Control I" option no longer appeared during boot. Then, at desktop, when I opened up the IRST icon at bottom right of screen, and clicked the "Manage" option (so that I could create new Raid 1 and migrate data to new drive), I got the IAStorUI error message and IRST then closes. When I go into Disk Management, both disks are active.

My IRST version is 10.8.0.1003. Since I am running XP, I am limited as to the upgrade versions. I don't know if upgrading is the answer, trying to reinstall version 10.8.0.1003, or something else. I need to get this finalized so I can start using this PC. Any suggestions????

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TThom19
Novice

Well, unfortunately that is what I am discovering...although Intel's own instructions specify to "Reset Disks to Non-Raid".

What I ended up doing was creating a Virtual Machine on another computer that is also running RAID 1, and is Windows 10 with 4.3 processor, so I end up still having mirrored disks, and can run the program as needed. This is probably what I should've progressed to anyway, so this situation simply forced me to do it. Case closed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Please provide the computer model or the Intel® chipset model number. the Intel® Rapid Storage version will depend on the chipset model.

Allan.
0 Kudos
TThom19
Novice

Hi, thanks for responding! As I stated, this is an older system that I only use for one specific purpose, so I know it is old.

It is a Dell Precision 380, running XP Pro, with a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor. For chipsets, I see the following:

Intel 82801 GB Ultra ATA storage controller

Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA AHCI controller

Intel 955x Processor to I/O controller

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please bear in mind that you are using an old operating system and a legacy product (ICH7R). It seems that the steps you have followed to move your existing raid level would work. There might be some conflicts when breaking the raid and recreating the array.

My best recommendation would be to start from scratch with new drives attached, please consider getting different operating system since Windows® XP is no longer supported by Microsoft*.

Allan.
0 Kudos
TThom19
Novice

Hi Allan. A couple things to add.....Since I broke the array initially, my BIOS reset to AHCI. The Intel instructions referenced above, which is what I was following, do not state anything about changing the BIOS setting back to RAID, so I was assuming the IRST would do that. Is it possibly unwritten that I need to change the BIOS back to RAID? If so, I have read online that this can affect the OS from running, and the computer therefore stall?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Definitely, this will be a problem. When changing SATA modes in BIOS will represent a hardware change, therefore you will need to reinstall that operating system.

Allan.

0 Kudos
TThom19
Novice

Well, unfortunately that is what I am discovering...although Intel's own instructions specify to "Reset Disks to Non-Raid".

What I ended up doing was creating a Virtual Machine on another computer that is also running RAID 1, and is Windows 10 with 4.3 processor, so I end up still having mirrored disks, and can run the program as needed. This is probably what I should've progressed to anyway, so this situation simply forced me to do it. Case closed.

0 Kudos