Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

I7 6700HQ stuck at 0.78 Ghz and 30% load

idata
Employee

Hi all,

My Dell Precision 3510, bought 2 weeks ago, has an I7 6700HQ CPU. It seems that the CPU is stuck between 0.75 Ghz and 0.78 Ghz. The power plan is configured for high performance.

The laptop came with Windows 8.1 Pro, and I thought upgrading to Win 10 Pro will fix this problem.

Upgrading to Win 10 didn't fix it, so I said to try a new, clean, fresh windows install...but it was in vain.

Im using the latest bios version, latest drivers.

I also tried running a Linux Fedora Live distribution from a memory stick, did some tests and it seems the CPU is not exceeding 800 Mhz and 30 % in load on this OS as well.

If I boot Windows 10 in safe mode, the CPU is running at 2.57 Ghz, but the speedstep is not working, the CPU constantly running at 2.57 Ghz.

I also tried to drain the battery tot the point when the laptop doesnt power up at all. I dont want to open the laptop to disconnect the bios battery, as I dont want to lose the warran

The CPU is not overheating at all. The multiplier is set to 8.

I also did a few diagnostic tests from Dell and all of them passed.

From Intel, at Dell Support request I did the IPDT64 test and is passed as well. See the logs in attach. The strange thing here is the temperature, expected vs reality (see attached text file) and the CPU load (Windows 30 % vs Intel Tool 99%, see below)

Any opinions are welcomed.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi TonyyStarkk ,

My suggestion is to go in bios and set it to default first, then in windows go in Control Panel / Power Options / Check High performance then go to Change plan settings / Change Advanced power settings. There go to Processor power management and you have minimum and maximum processor state. If you set minimum tp 5%, when CPU is idle it will stay at 800 Mhz. With maximum to 100% when is working will go to max frequency it has.

If you set min to 100% and max to 100% CPU will stay at max frequency all time. I don't advise you to do that, you can test only to see if it works ok.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for taking the time for writing here.

Reseting the bios to default settings is the first thing I've done before flashing the last version available, and ...yes, I didn't work for me.

I also tried changing the power settings without succes.

The only way I can get the CPU to work at a higher freq, is to boot in safe mode, or to change the BUS multiplier .

I've sent all the diagnostic logs, screenshots to Dell and they decided to replace the motherboard. I'm not happy having this experience, since the laptop is....2 weeks old.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well, I agree with you it's very annoying to get a laptop which was broken from the start with a defect which is not easy to see unless you test and verify it for some time, and instead replacing they decide to make it pieces to change mainboard. It it was a desktop I would have understand, that is easier to replace but on a laptop ...

I don't know what is the time to return the product at the shop you bought it from, maybe it passed. I think you should check that or you already know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TonyyStarkk,

You might have being dealing with a faulty unit, so if Dell decided to replace the laptop I believe is for the best.

I apologize for any inconvenience, and if there is something else I can help you with let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy,

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

They've decided to replace it, and they will visit my office next week, so I still have time to find out, on my own what/where could be the problem.

If there are any tests that I can do, please let me know.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You pretty much have done all the troubleshooting steps, and you took it further with installation Linux Fedora. The only thing I would recommend is updating your BIOS to the latest, but I checked your system configuration and you have the latest, so again it might be a faulty unit. Did Dell provide you with more details in regard to the issue? Is this a know issue for Dell? I believe they should have more answers for you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TonyyStarkk,

I am following up your thread; were you able to replace the unit? Does the issue persist with the new unit?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Amy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, they replaced the motherboard and all is sorted now.

Kind regards.

idata
Employee

Those are good news! I am glad to hear that is working.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy

0 Kudos