Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

BSOD in windows 8.1 due to intel graphics driver

RChau2
Beginner

this is my first post here

i actually started getting blue screen of death recently after installed windows 8.1

microsoft forums provide me that it was due to the intel graphics accelerator driver which was installed from windows update

what should i do to stop bsod ??

it shows driver power state failure

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=82FC6491B33C7912!401&authkey=!ANlVNQZEZQmrwK8&ithint=file%2c.zip https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=82FC6491B33C7912!401&authkey=!ANlVNQZEZQmrwK8&ithint=file%2c.zip

this the link to the dump file created by bsod

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VN41
Beginner

I have self assembled PC with i5-650 and intel DH57DD motherboard with win7 x64. I had this BSOD problem right from the beginning using win7 . After much research and many BSODs, this is was I found out :

1. First install the video driver that comes Intel CD. After this, suddenly the BSOD will happen at random.

2. Go to Graphic properties which invokes the UI provided by Intel.

3. Click on "Power" option on the left . On the right side "Balanced" will be the default. THIS IS THE CULPRIT

4. Set it to "Maximum Performance". AND YOU R DONE. No more BSPDs.. I have test this multiple times and this bug is repeatable and so is the fix.

5. Now upgrade to the latest version of video driver and no more BSODs. But there is a catch...the updated driver's graphic properties UI...NO LONGER SHOWS THE POWER OPTION.

6. If you skip 1,2,3,4 and directly install the latest video driver...BSOD will happen and no way to fix it with power option bcos it is removed from properties UI.

AND THEN CAME WINDOWS 8!

a. Took a image backup. Updated to windows 8 x64 ...and BSOD AGAIN!!

b. Removed default graphics drive version of window 8. Even the intel driver from win8 update had BSOD.

c. Performed step 1,2,3,4 above with win7 x64 driver and - YES ..NO BSOD..

AND THEN UPGRADED TO WIN 8.1 !

t. BSOD frequently!

u. Device mgr shows Intel driver for win 8.1..AND NO "POWER" OPTION IN PROPERTIES UI to change from "Balanced" to "Maximum Performance"!

v. So removed intel driver and followed step 1,2,3,4 above..And NO BSOD....BUT.....DISPLAY IS LETTERBOXED IN FULL HD RESOLN!!

w. Searched all around and experimented with driver install combinations ...IF I WANT A FULL SCREEN DISPLAY IT HAS TO BE WITH WIN 8.1 DRIVERS! AND SUFFER BSOD!!

I HAVE SINCE RESTORED MY WIN7 X64 IMAGE...!

NOT WORTH UPGRADING HARDWARE JUST TO GET TO WIN 8.1..

NOW ...IF ONLY INTEL CAN PROVIDE THE "POWER" OPTION BACK IN VIDEO PROPERTIES UI...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Let me assist you with your issue.

I was not able to download the dump file; perhaps you can attach it with the "advanced editor" (upper right corner when replying).

Kindly share more information, such as: system brand and model, Intel® HD Graphics controller model, and driver version. It is also good to know if it was working properly before and what changed before the issue started to happen.

For now, you may want to completely uninstall and re-install the driver.

0 Kudos
RChau2
Beginner

this issue started after i installed windows 8.1

i got a driver update in windows update i installed it and then this bsod started after i restarted my pc

SystemManufacturer = Acer

SystemProductName = V5-131

SystemFamily = Type1Family

SystemVersion = V2.13

SystemSKU = V5-131_0742_V2.13

BaseBoardManufacturer = Acer

BaseBoardProduct = Mimic

BaseBoardVersion = Type2 - Board Version

is this information enough else where could i get more information related to my PC

i have now uninstalled that driver and the image above is the new driver but its older version

the driver that i uninstalled was of 11. something

anything more that i should attach??

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

In this case you have three different ways to get a graphics driver:

It is possible that the driver you are attempting to install is not fully compatible with your system because it is also a generic driver. Since you have the latest generic Intel® HD Graphics driver we recommend you getting the drivers from the computer manufacturer as they have tested them with your system.

ASmit31
Beginner

Dell says that my Inspiron 15R N5010 laptop is not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1 , my brother downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro from the internet ,I don't know how or where he found it, it has no viruses or corrupt anything, he has it on his computer also. Anyway my Windows 8 Pro installation worked perfectly until he tried to "be nice" and update it to 8.1 Pro using the same "procedure" and it installed perfect , then restart my laptop and it has the BSOD I have win 8.1 pro x64 , intel i3 core , intel hd graphics integrated with i3 core I guess and Seagate hard drive please help.

since my brother found this on the internet, I have no installation media and I tried to disable the intel graphics normally and safe mode and it didn't work. Microsoft don't help by saying "Easy fix for BSOD is Installation Media" well I don't have it.

0 Kudos
RChau2
Beginner

updating win 8.1 from win 8 has its own problem and those microsoft forum doesn't really solve the problem

hope u get your problem solved here

0 Kudos
RChau2
Beginner

manufacturers Acer website has the driver for windows 8.1 64 bit only whereas i am using 32 bit

i think that i should get a win 8.1 evaluation now

what do u say joe???

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Besides the recommendation provided above, I can only suggest installing the drivers manually with the zip file as indicated in the article, or using an operating system validated by the system manufacturer, they usually provide the installation media.

0 Kudos
VN41
Beginner

I have self assembled PC with i5-650 and intel DH57DD motherboard with win7 x64. I had this BSOD problem right from the beginning using win7 . After much research and many BSODs, this is was I found out :

1. First install the video driver that comes Intel CD. After this, suddenly the BSOD will happen at random.

2. Go to Graphic properties which invokes the UI provided by Intel.

3. Click on "Power" option on the left . On the right side "Balanced" will be the default. THIS IS THE CULPRIT

4. Set it to "Maximum Performance". AND YOU R DONE. No more BSPDs.. I have test this multiple times and this bug is repeatable and so is the fix.

5. Now upgrade to the latest version of video driver and no more BSODs. But there is a catch...the updated driver's graphic properties UI...NO LONGER SHOWS THE POWER OPTION.

6. If you skip 1,2,3,4 and directly install the latest video driver...BSOD will happen and no way to fix it with power option bcos it is removed from properties UI.

AND THEN CAME WINDOWS 8!

a. Took a image backup. Updated to windows 8 x64 ...and BSOD AGAIN!!

b. Removed default graphics drive version of window 8. Even the intel driver from win8 update had BSOD.

c. Performed step 1,2,3,4 above with win7 x64 driver and - YES ..NO BSOD..

AND THEN UPGRADED TO WIN 8.1 !

t. BSOD frequently!

u. Device mgr shows Intel driver for win 8.1..AND NO "POWER" OPTION IN PROPERTIES UI to change from "Balanced" to "Maximum Performance"!

v. So removed intel driver and followed step 1,2,3,4 above..And NO BSOD....BUT.....DISPLAY IS LETTERBOXED IN FULL HD RESOLN!!

w. Searched all around and experimented with driver install combinations ...IF I WANT A FULL SCREEN DISPLAY IT HAS TO BE WITH WIN 8.1 DRIVERS! AND SUFFER BSOD!!

I HAVE SINCE RESTORED MY WIN7 X64 IMAGE...!

NOT WORTH UPGRADING HARDWARE JUST TO GET TO WIN 8.1..

NOW ...IF ONLY INTEL CAN PROVIDE THE "POWER" OPTION BACK IN VIDEO PROPERTIES UI...

RChau2
Beginner

Hi nvee

im going to follow ur instructions if it works i'll mark it as correct answer

as i get rid of bsod

0 Kudos
RChau2
Beginner

hey nvee

i followed your steps and it seems to be the real reason

not seen bsod since doing that

thanks a lot dude

0 Kudos
VN41
Beginner

Glad it worked!!...u r welcome...

0 Kudos
kbeti
Beginner

Method 1:

Try booting into safe mode

1. a. Boot from Windows 8 DVD.

1. b. After you see a Choose an Option, click on 'Troubleshoot'.

1. c. Now click on 'Advanced Options' and then on 'Windows Startup Settings'.

1. d. Use your arrow keys to go to 'Safe Mode' and hit Enter.

Method 2

Or try this, http://www.deskdecode.com/driver-power-state-failure/ Fix for Driver Power State Failure – 0x0000009f

If your computer boots to the desktop in safe mode, I would suggest you to perform clean boot.

Refer to the link to perform clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

Note: Refer the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting in clean boot" of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 3: If you are unable to boot to the Desktop in safemode, perform startup repair using Windows 8 DVD.

1. a. Boot from the Windows 8 DVD.

1. b. Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option "Install now"

1. c. Click on Repair your computer

1. d. On the next page click on Advanced Options

1. e. Now click on Troubleshoot

1. f. Click on Startup repair and follow the on screen instructions

Method 4: If startup repair fails, Perform a system restore.

1. a. Boot from the Windows 8 DVD.

1. b. Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option "Install now"

1. c. Click on Repair your computer

1. d. On the next page click on Advanced Options

<ol s...
0 Kudos