Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Uninstall Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0

RWolf3
Beginner

Apologies for this strange request. It all has to do with the software ZInstall. It claims to migrate programs from one machine to another. In my case, the donor machine is an X99 Asus / Intel Core i7-6850 with Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0. The recipient machine is a laptop that does NOT have ITBM. After the migration I started getting the popup error on reboot, "ITBM Driver Not Available, Exiting Application". Obviously this doesn't even belong to the laptop so I want to get it uninstalled. NOTE: ZInstall cannot help with this. Their software moved it, but it's my problem now. On the donor machine, Intel Turb....Technology 3.0 is in the Add/Remove programs but it is NOT in the Add/Remove programs on the laptop. I can see it in Task Scheduler and even disable it but it comes right back on the next bootup. ITBM.EXE is located in the System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\{some big long gnarly name} in a protected folder owned by SYSTEM.

How do I uninstall this from the laptop? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Rod_Wolfe, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In this case, if the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 is not showing under Add/Remove programs then in order to remove it the option to try will be to do the migration from scratch once again, depending on the application you are using to do that you might be able to choose the programs and tools to migrate, in that case just make sure to remove or disable the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 of the list of programs that will migrate.

On the link below you will find more information about this feature:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021587.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021587.html

I hope this is information will be useful for you.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
RWolf3
Beginner

Long story short, we will not be using Zinstall's migration tool for anything in the future. Meanwhile are we saying that there is NO WAY to get this off of the laptop? There is no set of registry keys? Can't take ownership of the directory that houses itbm.exe and just delete that folder? There HAS to be a way to at least manually remove this from the laptop. I will pay for the answer, provided I can use a credit card. The alternative can only be manual loading of all software packages which is time consuming.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rod_Wolfe, Thank you very much for providing that information.

From our end, the best option for this case is the one recommended previously, even though as you mentioned it might be time consuming. As an alternative to get further suggestions about how to delete it, if you are using Windows you can always get in contact directly with Microsoft or with the manufacturer of the laptop, they might be able to provide additional information about this regard:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos
RWolf3
Beginner

SOLVED

Microsoft of course wants you to use Add/Remove Programs which I can't do because this isn't IN there, which is why I needed help. I just made a backup of the registry, then deleted all of the ITBM folders, and every registry key that had Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 in it. Then took ownership of Intel's folder in the DriverStore\FileRepository and deleted it. Then rebooted and it's gone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rod_Wolfe, Perfect, excellent, thank you very much for letting us know that information, I am sure it will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread and it is great to hear that you were able to finally delete it.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos