Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

2 PC's. PC1 fast. PC2 slow. OK to use ram & processor PC1 uses in PC2?

idata
Employee

Hi guys. Have two Gateway SX2855 PC's. The idea was to have two identical PC's. Bought PC1 @New Egg. PC2 was a refurb from Ebay. Both ran win7x64. But since day one PC1 was always faster than PC2, to my continued displeasure. Just recently, I looked up the windows control panel "system" section: "View basic information about your computer:\" and found this information:

Faster PC1: Ram: 4.00; Processor: Intel Pentium cpu mailto:G645@2.90 G645@2.90 GHz

Slower PC2: RAM: 2.00; Processor: Intel Celeron cpu G460@180GHz

Well.... to a relatively nube on this subject, the PC2 slowness seemed to be caused by the lower ram and slower processor. But know I did not know for certain, I came to the more pro-like folks here in the hopes you guys could give me the full accurate scoop.

One question is that given these are near identical PC's, if I upgraded PC'2's ram from 2.0 to 4.0 and the Intel Celeron cpu G460@180GHz processor to Intel Pentium cpu mailto:G645@2.90 G645@2.90 GHz, would that make PC2 perform with the speed that PC1 performs at?

Any further thoughts on this subject appreciated (keep in mind plz, I am a nube on these subjects!)?

Thanks much, Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello JamesEJ,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that your best contact support is with your computer manufacturer Gateway as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

However; I have checked the specifications on both processors, you can see http://ark.intel.com/compare/69116,63913 here, honestly adding more RAM will increase the performance on PC2 but the processor for PC1 is much faster processor and still it will not be the same, even though you add more RAM the Intel® Celeron® Processor G460 still will run at 1.80 GHz and the Intel® Pentium® Processor G645 still will run at 2.90 GHz, this will not change.

If you take a look at the specifications both are very deferent processors.

I'm sorry this is not what you wanted to hear but unfortunately this is the reality with these two processors

Best wishes,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JamesEJ,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that your best contact support is with your computer manufacturer Gateway as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

However; I have checked the specifications on both processors, you can see http://ark.intel.com/compare/69116,63913 here, honestly adding more RAM will increase the performance on PC2 but the processor for PC1 is much faster processor and still it will not be the same, even though you add more RAM the Intel® Celeron® Processor G460 still will run at 1.80 GHz and the Intel® Pentium® Processor G645 still will run at 2.90 GHz, this will not change.

If you take a look at the specifications both are very deferent processors.

I'm sorry this is not what you wanted to hear but unfortunately this is the reality with these two processors

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Ivan! FYI, Gateway has no support like you suggested, so H ave to look elsewhere like here. But even more I have discovered....WOW!!!.... I opened the PC2 to make sure the ram was nor ajar or otherwise not full seated and to get the # 's off the ram stick. Alas, no ram stick existed at all. This is a win7 x64 system and its running on NO ram. Ya think that might be the prob? Best to install a 4GB ram stick? thanks, Jim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome, and I hope you can have a good experience with your system.

If you need further assistance regarding this matter I will be more than glad to try to help you.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos