Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel Graphics drivers - screen blanking after long period of inactivity.

pevan2
Novice

Has anyone seen this and do they have a cure for it. This appears to be common to pretty much any Intel graphics I have tried.

Today it showed up on an i7-6700 box running Windows 8.1 and 21.20.16.4627.

For some people, this may be desirable, but having your monitor go to sleep because the contents aren't changing is not something I need.

I have 24*7 rated screens and it is entirely possible for the contents to just sit there and NOT CHANGE for hours on end. Think "digital poster, boring version."

I have a ridiculous number of these and I resent having to reboot to wake the screen because that is not a solution.

In this case, our software is just displaying a grid overnight, but the same can be done from the desktop. (you may have to unplug keyboard/mouse to be on the safe side.)

Leave overnight.

In the morning, more often than not, the screen has gone to sleep, waving the mouse doesn't sem to wake it, but pressing a key will at which point, business as usual.

Connecting via VNC will also wake it.

After blanking, even if the contents switches to something, in today's case, 4k 60p mp4's, the screen will not wake up automatically.

I have seen this on several graphics drivers and chips. eg, i7-4700EQ, i7-6700EQ.

If there is an event recorded, I have not seen it.

Needless to say, this does not happen with an nvidia or a radeon but nvidia don't do embedded and I'd rather amd didn't too.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

I understand the screen is blanking after the computer has been idle for a very long time.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

What type of video cable are you using between the computer and the display?

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

Thank you for your interest.

I have a couple of thousand boxes, so I can safely say that this is not normal usage but an outlier. The particular machine you see in the attachment is destined for an event after Golden Week. It has, however, been brought to my attention in the field a few times, typically with windows 8.1 boxes based on the i7-4700EQ and now this one which is an i7-6700EQ. I have my suspicions that it happens with the older W7 boxes, but I am not in a position to prove that at this time.

The display in this case is one of those 4K LG monitors with the hopelessly bad UI. However, the picture quality is good. Today we are using the LG supplied monitor cable.

The hardware is an ibase SI-613 and we are using HDMI port 1.

P

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

I would like you to try updating some of the computer drivers in a specific order.

Install this driver first, and then restart the computer ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_INF(Win7_8_10).rar ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_INF(Win7_8_10).rar

Install this other driver, and then restart the computer one more time ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_ME11.rar ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_ME11.rar

Please download the following graphics driver ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_VGA(Win7_8_10)(64bit).rar ftp://ftp.ibase.com.tw/Driver/SI-2.4i/SI-613/Intel_VGA(Win7_8_10)(64bit).rar

As soon as the graphics driver has been downloaded on the keyboard press WinLogo key + r, then type in devmgmt.msc, double click on Display Adapters -> Intel HD Graphics -> Driver tab -> Uninstall -> Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device -> OK, restart the computer, and then reinstall the graphics driver I provided.

I would like you to change some settings in Windows* Power Options. Right click on Start button -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings. Make sure the following settings are set to "Never":
  • Turn off hard disk after
  • Sleep after
  • Hibernate after
  • Turn off display after

Let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

It is a national holiday so I do not have access to this machine at this time. I can do this but I am fairly certain that there will be no change.

1 - ibase drivers will be the drivers that were available at the release of the machine, they are not customised that I know of, being vanilla intel. Additionally, I suspect the graphics driver is the same version, I have tried several already.

2 - the power options are already set to that. Additionally, even changing the intel driver between "max performance" and "balanced" changes nothing.

This happens on several recent devices. Including but not limited to their SI-83 as well. I am not sure about the new SI-623 at this time.

With no other settings changed, similar hardware to the SI83 will do it when using the intel graphics, but not with an NVIDIA card.

Survey would suggest that there is some hidden sleep function in your drivers that we have no knowledge of.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

Have you checked if there is any option in the BIOS of the computer related to power management you can disable?

If possible let me know the model number of other systems you are also having troubles with.

Please also provide the model number of the monitors you are using.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

The common theme I have so far is Windows 8.1, intel graphics.

So far this has been seen on SI-83, MI-980, SI-613 and SI-623N.

There are no bios options for "go to sleep" and if there were, they would be disabled.

Any number of different monitors have been used, both with and without EDID emulators.

Currently I have:

LG 31MU/97

LG random 27" 4K

ELO Touch ET2002L

I do not believe the monitor is the culprit because this does not happen when using either an nvidia 750 Ti, 1050 Ti or K620.

Once again, this is an edge case. Under normal production use, this will not happen as they are rebooted daily (don't ask) and have moving images of some sort displayed for the rest of the time. However, the fact remains that only intel does this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

I will do further research about this issue. I will be posting information on this thread as soon as I have it.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

I will try to reproduce the issue in our lab with the following configuration. Please let me know if there is anything else that I need to change/do during the test.

I will leave the system on overnight with all power settings turned off. I will leave the system just showing the Desktop, and will keep mouse and keyboard disconnected.

I will let you know the outcome of this test.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

I did setup the lab with the hardware and software configuration I mentioned above, but I was not able to reproduce the issue. I left the system on for around 16 hours and the monitor remained on. I just left the power cord and HDMI cable connected to the Intel NUC.

There is a chance the issue might be related to a power setting in the BIOS of the computers you are using. If possible just for testing purposes try different computer from different brand with Skylake CPU and check if issue happens or not.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pon,

I was wondering if you still need or not assistance. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos