Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Needed: mainstream 6C/12T+ desktop CPUs

idata
Employee

Hoping that someone at Intel reads this, here goes!

As suggested in the title, 6 core/12 thread (and 8C/16T) CPUs have been long overdue on the mainstream platform. It has been my greatest wish for Intel, like AMDs Ryzen, to release such CPUs at an affordable and attractive price point. I, for one, do not have the funds for the HEDT platforms - unfortunately.

We all have read the rumors surrounding Intel's upcoming Coffee Lake CPUs and have probably seen the SiSoft Sandra result that tentatively shows an i5 6C/6T variant so it is hopeful. Intel, please give the top i7 K variant a decent amount of L3 cache and a boost clock (on all cores!) of at least 4.5-4.7GHz, and, make them available for socket 1151 (the constant need for a new socket is getting old fast, I feel, and unnecessary). Having a Z170 1151 board may still require me to upgrade for Coffee Lake, depending on the board vendors which may only offer support on the 200 series chipsets, but alas. AMD has set a good example now and it will benefit Intel if they follow suit.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TheF34RChannel,

Thank you for your feedback, this information will be taking into consideration

While we take all competition seriously, Intel continues to push new innovation with our products. Our 7th Gen Intel® Core™ products in market today deliver the best PC experiences, and later this year, we will launch 8th Gen Intel Core and new technologies like http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html Intel® Optane™ memory.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Ivan,

Thank you for your response and taking my feedback into consideration. Of course I am aware that all Coffee Lake specifications are already set in stone, aside from maybe clock speeds but from the little I know I am most excited! Big fan of Intel's products here ever since I was a little kid. But I digress. Spending a lot of time in gaming mainstream user communities I do know the wish and need for mainstream 6C/12T+ CPUs is high and would be a much welcomed innovation in this market segment.

Again, thanks for your time and consideration,

Stefan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos