Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Setting 1024x768 resolution on Windows 7x64 virtual monitor using Intel HD 5000

ABenM
Novice

Hello,

I have a problem setting a custom resolution of 1024x768 on a virtual monitor using IntelHD 5000.

I use the NUC 54250 kit and run Windows 7 x64 on it, connect to a monitor using HDMI or Display port (tried both).

I define a 2nd monitor virtually (using windows screen resolution setting screen, press the detect button and select the "try to connect to : VGA").

The only resolution I see available for the virtual monitor created is 1280x720.

When I use the Intel HD graphics Control panel to set custom resolution, I successfully define 800x600.

BUT, when i try to define 1024x768 custom resolution I get an error saying "Maximum bandwidth exceeded".

For the 1st monitor (physical one, connected through HDMI/DP) I have no issues with resolution.

How can I define 1024x768 on the virtual monitor, it's crucial for me??

When I use desktop PC's with NVidia/AMD display adapters, I have no issue getting 1024x768 from the 2nd virtual monitor.

I use the latest Bios/window updates/intel HD drivers (even tried the beta version, but no luck).

Thank you.

16 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please let me know if using the following driver fixes this issue:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24955 Intel® Download Center

What type of software are you using to get the virtual monitor?

Allan.

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

I tried he test driver version 15.36 and it's actually worst.

I don't use any special software to create the virutal monitor, it's a feature supported by Windows 7.

The step by step I use to create the virtual monitor are as follows:

1. Go to control panel -> Display

2. Click "Adjust resolution" to go to "Screen resolution"

3. Click the Detect button, a new monitor (grayed out) will appear in the window with the caption "Another Display Not Detected"

4. Click the new monitor

5. In the combo box Multiple Diplays select "Try to connect anyway on: VGA"

6. click apply button.

Now, with the test driver you sent me I get the virtual monitor as before created with only one resolution 1280x720.

When I try now to launch the "Intel HD graphics control panel" and define a custom resolution for the virtual monitor I get the message "Custom resolution are not supported for the selected display".

With the latest driver (not the test driver) from your web site I can define custom reolution of 800x600 for the virtual monitor, but I cannot the define 1024x768 I get the "maximum bandwidth exceeded" error message when I try to define it.

When I connect to physical monitors, I have no resolution problem with either of them I can work when both monitors are in 1920x1080 or 1024x768 however I wish.

How do I proceed to be able to define 1024x768 resolution on the virtual monitor?

Thank you,

Ariel Ben Moshe.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What is the model number of the physical monitor?

It seems the virtual monitor sets the maximum screen resolution of your physical monitor when you create the virtual monitor.

I was able to set 1024*768 but lowering physical monitor screen resolution first. See picture below:

The above procedure does not involve Intel graphics control panel, this would be windows OS configuration.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

I tried it using several physical monitors from LG/Philips/Samsung.

I also tried setting the physical monitor resolution to 1024x768 first.

Both tries did not yield a fix to the problem.

Regarding the screenshot you send, it's misleading. I'll explain.

You haven't clicked apply to make the changes of the virtual screen active. that's why what you see greyed out in the resolution combo-box is the resolution from the physical monitor.

BUT, if you'll press apply and make the 2nd monitor active by showing an image on it (using the "Multiple Displays" combo box and selecting Extend these displays) the resolution for the virtual monitor will change automatically to 1280x720 and you won't be able to change it.

How do I proceed?

Thank you,

Ariel Ben Moshe.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

As I mentioned on my previous post, there is no Intel® Graphics control panel on this procedure. That would be Microsoft's support.

The resolution is grayed out because once you set 1024*768 is the only option available for the virtual monitor.

I recommend contacting Microsoft for further information about creating virtual monitor through Windows Graphics control panel http://support.microsoft.com/ http://support.microsoft.com/

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ arielbm

Could you try these steps:

1. In Control Panel, open Display

2. Click "Change Display Settings"

3. Create the Virtual VGA Display

4. Apply the settings

5. In the Multiple Displays dropdown, select "Duplicate these displays"

6. Apply settings

7. Set the resolution on the physical display to 1024x768

8. Apply the settings. Both displays should now be 1024x768

9. In the Multiple Displays dropdown, select "Extend these displays". Be sure the physical display is primary.

10. Apply settings.

11. Now change the physical display to the desired resolution, the virtual display should remain at 1024x768.

12 Apply settings.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

Sorry, it's not working for me.

When I click apply in stage 10 (applying the "extend these displays" setting) the resolution for the virtual monitor goes back to 1280x720.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Ariel.

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

I think it is Intel related despite the fact that the settings UI is in a generic windows UI and not in InteHD graphics settings application.

1. It happens only on InteOnbard HD graphics card (where no other graphic card is installed on the system).

Actually, I've encountered this only on IntelNUC 54250 kit. I have another regular desktop with ASUS motherboard and IntelHD on which I don't have this issue.

I've checked and the issues reproduces also on Microsoft Surface Pro 1, 2 & 3 and on Windows 8.1 as well.
  2. In IntelHD graphics settings application, when i try to define a custom resolution of 1024x768x60Hz for the virtual monitor, I get an error message from the Intel HD Graphics software of "Maximum bandwidth have exceeded" - this is Intel related, despite the fact that the monitor is virtually created.

How Do I proceed? Is there any other way you can help me investigating and overcoming the issue?? I have a production line of several hundereds of Intel NUC's not being operative because of this issue.

Thank you,

Ariel.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ arielbm, I will have to try and replicate this on the NUC model you have. The systems I tested this on all worked fine. Not sure why the specific systems you mention behave differently. Also, it would be helpful if you could provide the usage case for this configuration and why it is being deployed in this manner.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

Thank you for the help!

This is the exact model of NUC I'm using as described in the BIOS:

Intel Desktop Board D54250WYK

Core i5-4250U CPU @ 1.3Ghz.

Of courrse, I'm using the latest bios version, latest win7x64 updates and latest drivers (also tried the test driver pinned in this forum).

Thank you!

Ariel Ben Moshe

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ arielbm, I located a D54250WYK and was able to replicate the issue you are seeing. I will continue to investigate and post updates to this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

Hello,

Any update on resolving the issue?

Thank you,

Ariel Ben Moshe.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi arielbm

I'll be taking over this case from Robert. The investigation into this continues, I will provide other updates as they come.

0 Kudos
ABenM
Novice

Thank you!

I am looking forward for more information / solution / work around to the issue, it is critical to my business usage of the NUC series.

Ariel.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi arielbm

Could you please offer your usage case? Why are you using a virtual monitor? What is its function?

0 Kudos
DBart5
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm having a very similar problem (I can't change the resolution of the virtual display to anything different from 1280 x 760). The only difference is that I would like to set the virtual monitors resolution to the same as my main monitor (1920x1080) instead of a smaller one. The use case is that I would like to use display mirroring software to stream my second display via WiFi.

I have also tried mirroring the original display to change the resolution, but in my case this only changes the resolution of the orignal monitor to 1280 x 760, too.

Best,

Daniel
0 Kudos