Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Latest Intel HD 4600 driver updates break Minecraft shaders

PChoi1
Beginner

I have noticed that all driver versions since 10.18.14.4080 do not work with many Minecraft shaders. Previously, most "standard" shaders worked well, albeit with low performance as expected. But after 4080, most shaders simply don't display anything or error out with "Invalid program final". It seems that the GPU does not recognize the GLSL code contained within the "final" shader program, and if "final" does not run, the whole shader does not run. Such shader incompatibilities have occurred before - running shaders on driver versions 15.33.29.64.3408 to 15.33.29.64.3621 actually crashed Minecraft, rather than gracefully failing. I believe that the fact that Minecraft shaders are failing on specific driver versions, when the hardware definitely supports the GLSL version required by the shaders, and the fact that shaders do work on other driver versions, hints to other GLSL incompatibilities in the incompatible drivers. I know that historically, Intel GPUs have had worse OpenGL support than discrete GPUs, although support in the latest GPUs is much better nowadays. Please, even if no one fixes this exact problem, take this into account.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NClyd
Novice

A LOT of Minecraft shaders does not work on Minecraft with computers running Intel graphics. Your best bet is to find a specific shader that works on Intel GPU's (As of now, only 1 shader exist solely for Intel but there is still a lot of shaders that does not work on much more recent Intel graphics driver.)

I've also heard that downgrading your graphics card may let you play with shaders.

0 Kudos