Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

Will my Sony Vaio, Intel board D915GAG, single core P4, accept an Intel Pentium D 820 dual core chip and function properly. I read that some boards will not accept dual core processors.

DFrie1
Beginner

Will my Sony Vaio, Intel board D915GAG, single core P4, accept an Intel Pentium D 820 dual core chip and function properly.

I read that some boards will not accept dual core processors and I am not sure just how far I can go with the dual core thing.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DFrie1
Beginner

The chip is a factory component, in my old vaio I bought at staples 10 yrs ago. It is XP home 32 bit and I use it as a backup. I have had three other computers crater over that time period. I can always use this one.... it keeps running.

0 Kudos
DFrie1
Beginner

I am new at this.... and I am a truck driver!!! I read the other post earlier about the same board.

I get the message about my old board but I still would like to stick in whatever is the best and still compatible.

Can I go to the dual core or do I need to stay with a P4 670 which seems to be at the top of the list...

.... if I am reading it/ understanding it correctly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Here you will find a list of processors supported by your board:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005945.html Supported Processors for the Intel® Desktop Board D915GAG

Doc

0 Kudos
DFrie1
Beginner

Well thankyou for that information.

I do not see any dual core processors on the list... but I already ordered two.

One Pentium D 820 from Toronto for $9.95 shipped and one Pentium D 945 (with thermal paste) from China $2.73 shipped!

May be wasted money but it's cheap entertainment.

I will post results, of the smoke test, here.

I learned that the computer can take up to 4gb of Ram. It currently has one stick of 1GB.

I will get two matching pairs and see what happens before I do anything else.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Memory information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006782.html System Memory for the Intel® Desktop Board D915GAG

4 GB maximum total system memory.

DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz SDRAM DIMMs.

Allan.

0 Kudos
DFrie1
Beginner

Thanks for that.

So with the double A and B slots on the motherboard, (black and blue) and with max Ram at 4GB, I am gusssing that four 1gb sticks is best....

......so that both channels are being used .....or does it really matter?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

If your computer comes with four RAM slots and the maximum allowed is 4GB then, yes, 1GB per slot.

Allan.

0 Kudos
DFrie1
Beginner

Dual core Pentium D 820 did not work.... no smoke.

Increased RAM helped.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Indeed, the processor Pentium(R) D 820 is not compatible. RAM upgrade, hard drive speed might help.

Allan.

0 Kudos