Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Lightroom 'blue box': no hardware acceleration with video card

KSoet
Beginner

Hi, I recently purchased a Skylake processor: i5 6600 with the HD Graphics 530 gpu.

Lightroom has the option of using hardware acceleration and it needs at least OpenGL 3.3

As far as I know and what downloading the latest driver tells me, I have OpenGL 4.3

Reading the release notes of the driver, shows me some issues with other photo software, but noting with Lightroom, so I though perhaps it hasn't been noticed until now (something I cannot imagine).

Anyway, I couldn't find others with the same problem.

I'll attach the Lightroom-readings of the machine (not completely correct I think). I was mostly struck by the last few lines:

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

I downloaded the latest driver for the gpu:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25150/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_15%2040%204%2064%204256_8_5_15_Win10.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25150/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_15%2040%204%2064%204256_8_5_15_Win10.pdf

I can imagine the solution should come from the Adobe-side, but you never know

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I do not have reports of Adobe Lightroom from other customers; at this stage, I would recommend waiting for new graphics drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center as they become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi Krijn

This has been picked up and is assigned to a Developer who's investigating. I'll provide more information as it's made available.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

UPDATE:

Bug has been root caused and a fix is in the works. ETA is unknown at this point. I'll update more when it's made available.

CGlei
Novice

Problem also exists on 6700K under the latest Windows 10 driver. Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw 9.1.1 shows a yellow screen when opening a raw image, could be related.

Bryce__Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
GLura
Beginner

Has there been a release date made public?

How can users be notified when the fix is available? Will it come through Windows Update as a required update?

I've seen reports of the issue by Surface Pro 4 users. The device is a strong portable photo editing workstation with Lightroom so suspect there will be more people hitting this.

Thanks,

gary

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This would be updated as new information becomes available,or you can check the driver release notes.

Allan.

0 Kudos
VLeit
Novice

I too experience the same problem when using Adobe Lighroom 6.2. Running desktop Windows 7 Pro with Skylake CPU i7-6700 and using Intel's HD 530 graphics. This issue also being reported on Adobe forums: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8083799# 8083799 Problem with BLUE screen with LightRoom Develop... | Adobe Community

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. This will be updated as soon as possible.

Allan.

0 Kudos
DLukš
Beginner

I can confirm this, slightly different configuration (Core i7-6700, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel 530 driver version 20.19.15.4300), Lightroom 6, Adobe Camera Raw 9.1 -> Lightroom gets a blue screen when GPU acceleration (which uses OpenGL) is enabled. Problem is that's enabled by default, so Lightroom doesn't work until you find a solution on the net (tnx to Victor and Google!) and manually disable acceleration.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi folks,

The issue has been resolved with internal testing builds. The fix is targeted to be in the next quarterly driver release, there is no ETA at this point in time.

As for yellow screen issue, both issues (Lightroom and Photoshop) have the same root cause, a workaround has been noted of renaming photoshop.exe to lightroom.exe made this yellow screen disappear.

0 Kudos
JBlea3
Beginner

Hi - I just purchased a new ultrabook with 900 MHz Intel Core m3-6Y30 Dual-Core and Integrated Installed: Intel HD Graphics 515. I also get a blue box in develop module of Lightroom and when i spoke with Adobe they said I needed to update my graphics driver. I am not sure which one to update so this problem is resolved. I would appreciate a reply and suggested fix.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The latest video drivers version 4300 still does not address this issue. I recommend keep checking our download center page for future driver releases: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi Krijn

Have you retested with latest drivers lately? Please let me know your results and if I can close this one. Thanks.

0 Kudos
KSoet
Beginner

Hi, sorry it took a while to test But here using my own computer and the updated drivers, it seems fixed!

(I don't really notice any speed difference though )

But yes, close the topic I suppose! Thanks for the fix and a happy NY of course! Cheers,

0 Kudos
JBlea3
Beginner

I am pleased to report that the problem of blue screen has been resolved with the installation of the latest video driver, dated 12/23/15. THANK YOU.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks jbleaman!

Could you please provide your platform info for reference so I can close this out? Appreciate it!

vDriver:

CPU:

Platform model/brand:

0 Kudos
VLeit
Novice

Bryce,

I'm happy to report that the latest Intel driver version 15.40.14.64.4352 resolved issue with my Adobe Lightroom 6.3. Custom build PC with Intel i7-6700 processor.

Thanks and Happy New Year !

0 Kudos
JPelt2
Beginner

I've been experiencing this same issue in Lightroom since I bought my new laptop at the end of 2015.

Just ran the Intel Driver Update Utility today and no new display drivers were found (it updated my Wireless and Bluetooth drivers).

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit and hae Intel HD Graphics 520 with Driver 10.18.15.4279 from 2015-08-24.

Any help?

0 Kudos