Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

4400 and Windows 10 - Dual Display

AMaso3
Beginner

I am having a major issue, running 2 monitors on Windows 10 - one using VGA and one using Display port.

Windows 10 does not recognise the display port adapter, or any monitor connected to this. But this is only after windows loads. (I get the Windows Loading screen on the Display Port monitor). My machine works fine on Windows 7.

I have installed the relevant drivers, including the most recent version, but this just caused my VGA monitor to become a wonderful flashing rainbow. This then causes the machine to become unusable, until you do a hard reset (You cannot view anything on the display, because of the rainbow).

When you restart the PC, and go to device settings, I get the following:

When I then go into the device properties, I get the following:

I also have a video of the 'rainbow; if this is appropriate?

Any advice, or a fix would be much appreciated. (Dell Technical Support are no help! Even though they have stated my machine is fully workable with Windows 10).

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Windows 10, dual display not working through Display Port.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 (Late 2013)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid

Make and model of any Displays that are us...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello allanmw,

In the specifications that you added I noticed that your system is Hybrid, do you have an external video card installed? And if it is that way have tried installing the driver for that video card? I also noticed that there are two exclamation marks on the Device Manager one from the Intel HD Graphics 4400 and the other from the SM Bus Controller, have tried installing the SM Bus Controller driver? This driver could be related with the issue that you have.

I would recommend installing the SM Bus Controller driver and to reinstall the latest version of the Intel HD Graphics 4400.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AMaso3
Beginner

Hello Amy,

There is no external video card installed. The graphics are fully integrated on the motherboard.

The SM Bus Controller has been installed and worked fine. But the displays still did not. The reason it shoes as an exclamation mark is that Windows 10 has been installed and downgraded back to Windows 7 on 3 occasions now.

I have again this morning installed the SM Bus Controller, and the latest Windows 10 driver - but this has again failed.

I believe the Display Port is the problem - I cannot get any display from it once windows loads.

Thanks,

Allan

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Allan, please double check if you have the latest BIOS version, which is the A08 version. You can perform an update on the Graphics driver from the computer manufacturer, here I posted the links to get the latest BIOS in case you don't have it and the Graphics Driver from Dell site.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VMVTV&fileId=3476499466&osCode=WT64A&productCode=optiplex-3020-desktop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI Dell OptiPlex 3020 System BIOS Driver Details | Dell US

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7W9YT Intel HD, HD 4200/4400/4600/5000/5100/5200//5300/5500 graphics driver Driver Details | Dell US

Please remember, Intel always suggest to use the drivers provided from the computer manufacturer, they usually customize the drivers according to their specifications.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AMaso3
Beginner

Hello Amy,

The BIOS is the latest version, and unfortunately the driver from Dell which you have provided a link for does not work.

I am still stuck with this issue, and both myself and Dell are confused as per the fix.

Regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

At this stage after all troubleshooting I would recommend waiting until our engineering department releases a new Windows 10 Graphics driver.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos