Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel dual 7265 wireless card, in hp spectre x360, can this do wireless access point/hotspot

nspag
Beginner

hp spectre x360, has the intel dual 7265 wirelesscard

I am trying to do a wireless hotspot/access point, to share the wireless connection; apparently, with new Microsoft software, if the network card is capable, it can connect to network with the wireless, and at same time create a wireless access point/hotspot so that other machines can share the computer internet connection.

can this wifi card do this,and if so, how?

I trried it last evening, (program MyPublicWiFi, this worked before on hp touchsmart system, used existing Broadcom card, and it worked), but not working on the hp spectre with the intel card

any feedback appreciated

thasnk

nick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

hello-its-me,

The Intel® Adapters currently don't support this feature and there is no information if this will change in the future. However, the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 supports Wi-Fi Direct* for peer to peer device connection up to a limit of 8 devices only. Here is the link for further information on it: http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct Wi-Fi Direct | Wi-Fi Alliance - It also supports Ad-Hoc (not supported in 5GHz) which is a temporary network used when an access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router is not available. It allows users to wirelessly connect to each other's mobile devices. Below is the description on how you do it:

1. Access the Network and Sharing Center using Start " Network " Network and Sharing Center or http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025386.htm?wapkw=ad-hoc# a another method.
  2. Select Manage wireless networks.
  3. Click Add.
  4. Select Create an ad hoc network.

5. Click Next.
  6. Enter a network name.
  7. Select a security type.
  8. Enter a security key or passphrase. All users joining the ad hoc network will configure their computers in the same manner.
  9. Select Save this network.
  10. Click Next. The ad hoc network is now ready to use. You can now share files or turn on Internet connection sharing.

If you return to Manage wireless networks at this point, you will see that the ad hoc network is now listed.

We hope this information helps to clarify your doubts.

nspag
Beginner

wow, thanks for reply.

to clarify what this will do, see the following -

(ALSO, ADDENDUM, I do not see an option for CREATE an AD-HOC network, in Windows 10 -

networK and internet -> network and sharing center -> set up new connection or network

BUT, AD HOC is not in the next menu)

and, ADDENDUM # 2

NETSH properties show

Hosted Network Supported : NO

doesn't this imply that it can't be done???

if it CAN be done, this is my interpretation

my current internet connection (WiFi-01), connects to home router, or hotel router, etc

the Ad-Hoc network uses this same connection card (the intel 7265), to set up a separate connection -

I can then set up my ROKU device, or other computer, to connect to (WIRELESS-N), with listed password (or I can change passwords)

and it can then SHARE my (WiFi-01) connection.

BESIDES the above, do I have to do ANY enabling of SHARING, etc, on the (WiFi-01) adapter, if I do NOT want to share any files,but just want to share the internet connection?