Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth stops working (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160)

KD2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5547 laptop which has a WiFi+Bluetooth adapter (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160, Driver Version: 17.1.1529.1613)

I have been facing problems, from day 1, in using Bluetooth headphones with the laptop. Bluetooth headphones connect & work fine immediately after a laptop restart but the headphones won't connect after waking the laptop up from sleep. Also, sometimes Bluetooth icon disappears from system tray & Bluetooth device disappears from device manager, and I see below Bluetooth related events (Error & Warning) in event viewer.

The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

Source: BTHUSB

Event ID: 17

A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.

Source: BTHUSB

Event ID: 3

I have attached an events file "Bluetooth-Events.evtx" that has details of both the events.

This problem was present when the laptop had Windows 8.1 and continues to be present even after upgrading to Windows 10.

Based on a suggestion from an online forum I disabled power management on Bluetooth and WiFi devices in device manager by unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". But the suggestion didn't fix the problem. I am getting frustrated with the problem and will really appreciate some help.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 15 5547

Adapter: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Driver Version: 17.1.1529.1613

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

BlackColt,

Did your computer come with this wireless adapter by factory? If so, we recommend that you contact Dell* first and if they have any updates that might help you resolve this issue. Alternatively, you are welcome to try our latest driver version (18.12.1) for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 found in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25196 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 - As for your headphones, if possible check with the manufacturer and see what Bluetooth* profiles it supports.

0 Kudos
KD2
Beginner

Hi Aleki_intel,

The laptop has the adapter installed in the hardware by Dell, but since it has Intel chipset, Dell asked me to contact Intel. I installed the latest driver you suggested but the problems still persists.

The bluetooth adapter on the laptop itself seems to be failing as indicated by the event logs I pasted in my previous message.

The headset shows up as WST580BT-C on Manage Bluetooth Devices window of Windows 10, but I don't know manufacturer name of the headset. The headset worked fine for 1.5 years with Lenovo T61 laptop running Windows 7, but chipset was different.

Are there any diagnostic programs from Intel or any debug images for driver from Intel that I can try, to out to find the root cause for the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Blackcolt,

We recommend that you always use the drivers provided by your computer manufacturer first. Here is the link for the manufacturers in case you need it: http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support Web Sites - As as second option, you can try the generic Bluetooth* drivers found in our download center: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25133/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-8-1-64-bit-WP- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 8.1* 64-bit (WP)

It would be important to check what Bluetooth* profiles are supported by the headset and see if they are supported by the Bluetooth* on the adapter.

0 Kudos